can the deposit be increased during a tenancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can the deposit be increased during a tenancy?

Hello,

I let out properties and a friend came to me with a predicament. I cant answer it though as I have never come across it!

Basically, the property has been let to the same family for 9 years. The rent has been increased but the agent has asked to increase the deposit to match with the new rent amount plus they want to hold 6 weeks now instead of the original 4. Is this legal?

Plus the agents never put the money in a deposit scheme when the scheme was introduced. Was this not suppose to happen last year? Or was it only for new tenants? I put all mine in schemes.....

Hope someone can help!!
    perk

If the initial deposit was taken when the tenancy started 9 years ago it does not need protecting.

The idea of a deposit is to have something to fall back on if the tenant defaults. If the tenant has been a good one there cannot really be any justification for asking for an increase in the deposit.

Comment

Thank you, That is what I thought! Plus the deposit is taken on the original terms of the contract not on what could happen during the time!!

Its an agent that they have to deal with and not a very good one. Throughout the whole tenancy, they have had issues. I told them they should move and be done with it, but they cannot be doing with the hassle!!

thank you again for your response

Comment

the deposit does however need to be protected if a new tenancy has been signed since april 2007. If the original contract signed 9 years is still running on a periodic basis (month by month) then the deposit does not need to be protected however any increase in a deposit taken after this date would have to be.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
          by jpucng62
          Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
          22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
        • Rent Rises in 2020
          by jpucng62
          I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
          19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
        • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
          22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
        • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
          16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by newtenant9011
          You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
          22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
        • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by thesleepingdog
          Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
          22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
        • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
          by DPT57
          In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
          22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
        • Reply to Rats
          by ChrisDennison
          These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
          22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
        • Rats
          by ETB
          I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
          21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
        • Reply to Rats
          by Berlingogirl
          I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
          22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
        Working...
        X