Told dss tennant want rent to landlord!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Springfields View Post
    prior to the start of the tenancy the housing benefit will not be paid direct to you unless she has had a history of poor payment, is classed as vunerable or has a dependancy to substances.

However.....

If it is a condition of the let, ie if she were to say my landlord will not let to me unless I pay him direct they may as they could be making her essentally homeless by not agreeing.

Of course the alternative for security is to get her to provide a guarantor and make this a condition of her let.
    i did put this in writeing to her, saying that we would only accept if paid direct, she has been told her allowance is £148 pw and i have said she can rent the property for £395 a month if paid direct!

as for a guarantor, if i have a deposit of £900 from her and if she does not pay the rent, i am paid after 8 weeks direct regardless, i hope that will be enough, as if she falls in arrears will have 2 months rent out of her deposit!

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
      If the tenant makes a fraudulent claim or does not report a change of circumstances, a council may attempt to recover from the landlord.

the contract is between you and the tenant, how they get the money is their concern.
      heard this too is there a way to protect yourself from this??

Comment

Originally posted by standingorder View Post
        heard this too is there a way to protect yourself from this??
        User HBAdvisory has repeatedly posted in the LHA section that such a decision by the council can quite easily be overturned on appeal - PROVIDING the landlord did not know of the events that lead to the false claim.

So, if boyfriend moves in, and you don't tell the council, you'll have problems.

If boyfriend moves in, and you do tell the council, the benefit will probably change (downwards usually!) but at least there will be no claw-back and you can attempt to recover the difference from the tenant (as is your right).

If boyfriend moves in, she doesn't tell the council and you genuinely don't know about it, then they will not be able to claw back from you - but are likely to reduce her LHA by a fiver or so until the overpayment is repaid. That doesn't affect how much rent you are entitled to from your tenant.

Don't forget - with the change from 50th Percentile to 30th Percentile, LHA amounts are likely to drop 5 - 10% next year depending on area. That doesn't affect how much rent you are entitled to from your tenant.

Comment

I cant understand if she will get £148pw LHS why you would only charge £395 a month in rent (In Leeds) as you are losing out on almost £200 a month.

As for getting the rent paid direct to you, it's very simple to do and the reason stated, 8 weeks in arrears and vulnerable isnt exactly true. I have around 20/30 DSS that i am paid direct, in fact if they dont agree to it, i dont rent them the property

Comment

Originally posted by John_C View Post

As for getting the rent paid direct to you, it's very simple to do and the reason stated, 8 weeks in arrears and vulnerable isnt exactly true. I have around 20/30 DSS that i am paid direct, in fact if they dont agree to it, i dont rent them the property
            If it's simple, why not say how?
            That's why the thread was posted.
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

The only other way they will pay it direct to the landlord is if the tenant can prove they have a serious mental illness.

Comment

The tenant doesnt have a bank account

The Tenant only has access to a joint account and thinks the other person may withdraw the cash.

The Tenant is no good with Money

The Tenant is slow in coming forwards and doesnt understand banks.

As this is Leeds, I know one landlord who only rents to DSS and everyone is paid direct to him.

Another way round it, get then to open a new account, set it up between you both and use online banking. Once she has the account (For rent only) Agree to change the PIN so only you have access to it. OFC these details should be put on the application form.

As the council pay in arrears, from day one she will be one month in arrears, as soon as 2 months occur, if u pm me your email address, I will send you the forms i give to Leeds council for interim payments, including letters telling them if they dont act, I will sue them. Seems to work for me.

Sorry but dont know how to attch files

Leeds normaly take about 5 weeks to process and have always paid me the arrears, using the date of the AST for backdating purposes.

I have had 5 months backdated in the past.

Finally the rent for a 3 bed in Leeds is around 650, the LHA is the same, yet you are going to charge them 395!!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X