Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non AST rental - whats the difference

Hi there,

First post, so all responses and views welcome. I'll try and keep it short.

I'm coming to the end of a 12 month rental. The rent is >25k, so isnt an AST. I have spoken to lots industry bodies (ARLA, APIP, CAB etc) but trying to find clarity on the following:

- Unfair terms: the more I learn, the more it seems that my rental contract has unfair terms - does this apply to non-AST?
    - Enforcement of terms: must I do everything in the contract whether I think it is reasonable or not?
    - Check-out: the more I dig the more it seems that the "independent" inventory clerk used at check is a mate of the landlord (not member of APIP, AIIC, no webiste or any other listing) - Can I say that we dont want this person at the check-out and appoint someone else?

Apologies if I have not given sufficient information above, let me know what more is needed to clarify.

Thank you all

A non-Housing Act 1988 residential letting (common-law contractual) is treated and applied literally, except that is is still subject to:
    a. the Protection from Eviction Act 1977;
    b. s.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985; and
    c. the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

So none of the 1988 Act [inc. s.8/s.21] appliers; nor does Deposit Protection.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      A non-Housing Act 1988 residential letting (common-law contractual*) is treated and applied literally, except that is is still subject to:
      a. the Protection from Eviction Act 1977;
      b. s.11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985; and
      c. the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

So none of the 1988 Act [inc. s.8/s.21] appliers; nor does Deposit Protection.
      *More accurately called a "bare contractual tenancy". Common law and the law of contract apply to a greater or lesser extent to all tenancy agreements.

Add to the above:

d. Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

Comment

Thank you both.

I have to admit a queasy feeling that the LLs have ensured that the rent is above the upper threshold for ASTs to ensure, what at least to me appears to be, a considerably stronger legal position for all aspects of the tenancy.

Any views on me pushing for a different inventory clerk to ensure at least some fairness in the check-out and return of deposit?

Comment

Or, as I have just commented in a similar thread, withhold rent at the end of the term equal to your deposit, (although that would probably put you in technical breach of the contract).

But you will be in a much better bargaining position.

Comment

Originally posted by Batty View Post
            Any views on me pushing for a different inventory clerk to ensure at least some fairness in the check-out and return of deposit?
            Does it say in your contract that you have to pay for the cost of the check out? If so I would assume you can employ an independent clerk of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
              *More accurately called a "bare contractual tenancy".
              When did this phrase come into fashion, please? What is "bare" about such a tenancy. Further, can there be such a thing as a tenancy which is not contractual?

To put it another way, what would a fully-clothed non-contractual tenancy be like?

Comment

Or a fully clothed cupboard for that matter.

"Bare" is preferable because such a tenancy is unemcumbered from the travails of the Housing Acts.

You could also go for "bald" if that were pleasing?

What is ambiguous, is to call it a "common law tenancy".

Also tenancies are governed by common law to a greater or lesser extent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                  by MdeB
                  My experience:
                  1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
                  2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
                  18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
                • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                  by fmST1
                  When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                  I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                  11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                • Reply to Part furnished
                  by jpucng62
                  So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
                  18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
                • Part furnished
                  by Chester Perry
                  Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                  18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                  by cuttingman
                  It's not their fault they are on holiday when you want to inspect. Hopefully they don't install some hidden cameras and you can prove the notice of inspection was received by the tenant.

It's a good thing the girl doesn't have a hearing problem and was having a shower when you walked in...
                  18-09-2020, 19:34 PM
                • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                  by SamCartman
                  We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
                  We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
                  18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Well the words you use "tenants agreed that it would be okay and would be at home" does NOT suggest a simple permission to enter.

I'm not 100% sure what you are aiming for here - but I would just apologise and say that you will clarify the extent of permission next time....
                  18-09-2020, 19:32 PM
                • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                  by MdeB
                  If you are imminently implementing it, then isn't it a bit late to be seeking landords' views?

Does that have any inherent meaning, or is it from a buzzword generator?

I think this is the wrong place to be looking for landlords that might be willing to...
                  18-09-2020, 19:19 PM
                • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                  by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                  Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                  18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                  by SamCartman
                  So are you saying that if we arrange an appointment and, for whatever reason, either we or they were late or early, that we have to specifically state in advance that we will use our keys in order to enter?

What would happen if we gave them 24 hours notice and they were away or on holiday,...
                  18-09-2020, 18:59 PM
                Working...
                X