New landlord advice needed

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New landlord advice needed

    I am just about to let my 3 bedroom mid terraced house out. I have had a gas safety cert done and will shortly get the electrics checked.

    2 questions:-
    1. do i need to do anthing else legally?
    2. Am i allowed to rent the property to a family of 6 (2 adult, 4 kids), they want to convert one of the reception rooms into a bedroom downstairs?



    Roy, there are at least 3 posts within the last few days from newby landlords who don't really know what they're doing.

    It's a very dangerous minefield! The only advice I can give is get somebody to act on your behalf who does know what's what.
    The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.


      Originally posted by jaguarroy View Post
      do i need to do anthing else legally?
      Here's a good guide from Shelter.


        Advice for New Landlords

        You might find this useful:

        20 Steps to Successful Landlording - LandlordZONE Article


          Many thanks for the replies.
          I have had a good look round and cannot see whether I will need any sort of permission tolet the house to a family of 6?
          Any thoughts??




            Originally posted by jaguarroy View Post
            the house to a family of 6?
            Any thoughts??
            Ask yourself.

            If two lived in your house, how much would the rent be.

            If 6 people lived in your house, how much will the rent be.
            The wear on your nice house is going to be financialy prohibitve, as fair wear and tear of 6 people over 3 years would cost you dearly.

            I would draw the line at 4, and not allow your house be converted into a 4 bedroom house, as the wear and tear and future problems sound inevitable.


              Remember you will need the gas safely cert to be done once every year.

              Make sure the tenants sign a rental agreement (AST)- I would advise that you ask them to sign it for 6 months as opposed to a year initially, then you can always renew it. It will be much easier to get them out of the property if necessary if you do it this way, otherwise you may be stuck with them for a year!

              As the tenants are one family, you do not need any permission (it would be different if they were not one family) for them to rent the property or to use the downstairs room as a bedroom.

              Remember you will be responsible for maintaining the property- for example, if the boiler blows up- so make sure you have a reserve of money for emergencies!

              Remember that you MUST by law protect their deposit with one of the deposit protection schemes.

              Thats all I can think of for now!

              Regards, Bry


                Also don't forget the Energy Performance Certificate. Eco warriors and hippies love 'em ( ), but unfortunately they're a legal requirement so make sure you have one.


                  Guys & gals,
                  Many thanks for the replies. What is AST?




                    Assured Shorthold Tenancy. It's the type of tenancy that the tenants will have (assuming the rent is less than £25,000 per year).

                    There is a simple version of an AST agreement here:

                    Edit: hope I am allowed to post a link?!


                      Originally posted by jaguarroy View Post
                      Guys & gals,
                      What is AST? Roy
                      That is worrying - not to know the answer to this question shows a total lack of knowledge - you need to seriously consider using an agent - at least for your first letting - until you can get up to speed on your responsibilities as a landlord.
                      Mrs Jones
                      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!


                        Does the room downstairs that is going to be converted into a bedroom have a gas fire or boiler? I don't think that the property would pass a gas ceck if there is a gas fuelled appliance in a bedroom.


                        Latest Activity


                        • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                          by OS7
                          Just to close of this thread : telephone hearing took place and after a lengthy hearing - the defendants application to set aside CCJ was dismissed and a CCJ with an instalment order was ordered by the Judge. He said he saw no real prospect of the defendant defending the claim, however to resolve he...
                          30-11-2021, 05:44 AM
                        • MCOL & PCOL
                          by OS7
                          Hello Everyone,

                          Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                          04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                        • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                          by AndrewDod
                          Even if you are an AST "tenant", you are tenant of Sarah, not a tenant of Sarah's landlord. If Sarah ceases to be a tenant that does not make you a tenant of Sarah's landlord (nor does any deposit you paid to Sarah have anything to do with Sarah's landlord).

                          Sarah's right of...
                          29-11-2021, 23:05 PM
                        • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                          by Bert1e
                          Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

                          I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                          28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                        • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                          by jpkeates
                          There's not normally an issue with the gas certificate timing other than the very first one.
                          That said email is not how you give people documents like that, unless the tenant has agreed to be served them by email.
                          29-11-2021, 18:16 PM
                        • Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                          by Mr. Sparkle
                          About 3 weeks ago I had a gas certificate issued.

                          I forgot to email the tenant a copy of the document.

                          I plan to evict the tenant with either a Section 8 or 21 and want to know whether there is any issue regarding the delay to give the tenant the gas cert?

                          29-11-2021, 14:15 PM
                        • Reply to Section 21 and Gas Certificate
                          by theartfullodger
                          No idea if the GSC you have is OK or not (1st place, you don;t say) or what the timing is for when it should be served. So difficult to answer.


                          s8 not an issue

                          s21 see

                          - there's...
                          29-11-2021, 17:50 PM