Landlord Obliged to provide a deadlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Obliged to provide a deadlock

I have just moved into a property and we only have a yale lock and no deadlock. Is this the landlords duty to provide a dead lock?

Sorry, no.

The place has to be habitable, and that would include a requirement for it to be secure, but a yale lock would almost certainly be sufficient to fill that requirement.

You could fit your own additional lock so long as you don't damage anything.

Comment

My issue is that it is a yale lock without a latch - ie it could be opened with a credit card which is very worrying.

Is the landlords insurance not void without a deadlock?

Comment

Originally posted by jdickson98 View Post
        My issue is that it is a yale lock without a latch - ie it could be opened with a credit card which is very worrying.

Is the landlords insurance not void without a deadlock?
        The landlords insurance will essentailly be for buildings cover - in which case any sort of lock is of minimal relevance. It isn't your issue, as no one here knows what the terms and conditions of his policy are - if he even has one.

If you are worried about your own contents, then you need to insure those, ensuring you either upgrade the security to a level YOUR insurers are happy with (if your landlord agrees) or you make sure your insurers know the current level of security.

Presumably when you rented the place, it only had a yale lock? Presumably you didn't make the fitting of a deadlock a pre-requisite before taking on the tenancy? So, you accepted it as it was and the landlord has no further responsibility.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X