Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joint tenancy

Hi
    Just need a bit advice really as to where to go from here........
    I started a 12 month joint tenancy with my then partner on 21 may 2010.
    He has left the property and not paid his share of the rent from 23 june, when the rent was due.
    I am paying my share of the rent. I need to know if i am responsible for paying the full rent now or can i change my tenancy agreement as i am now the sole tenant.

Both of you are jointly and severally for 100% of the rent** for 100% of the term. You + he remain joint tenants, even though he's vacated.
    **- there aren't "shares" of rent; both owe all of it!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mupure View Post
      I am paying my share of the rent. I need to know if i am responsible for paying the full rent now or can i change my tenancy agreement as i am now the sole tenant.
      You are responsible for paying the full rent and so is your ex-partner.

You may be the sole occupier but you are not the sole tenant. Your ex-partner is still one of the joint tenants, regardless of whether he lives there or not.

It is up to the landlord as to whether he agrees to 'change' the tenancy agreement. As things stand, he has two joint tenants against whom he could pursue a claim for any unpaid rent, so it's not really in his interests to release you or your ex-partner from the contract. However, if you can't afford to pay the full rent I recommend you discuss the problem with your LL.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X