Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joint tenancy

Hi
    Just need a bit advice really as to where to go from here........
    I started a 12 month joint tenancy with my then partner on 21 may 2010.
    He has left the property and not paid his share of the rent from 23 june, when the rent was due.
    I am paying my share of the rent. I need to know if i am responsible for paying the full rent now or can i change my tenancy agreement as i am now the sole tenant.

Both of you are jointly and severally for 100% of the rent** for 100% of the term. You + he remain joint tenants, even though he's vacated.
    **- there aren't "shares" of rent; both owe all of it!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mupure View Post
      I am paying my share of the rent. I need to know if i am responsible for paying the full rent now or can i change my tenancy agreement as i am now the sole tenant.
      You are responsible for paying the full rent and so is your ex-partner.

You may be the sole occupier but you are not the sole tenant. Your ex-partner is still one of the joint tenants, regardless of whether he lives there or not.

It is up to the landlord as to whether he agrees to 'change' the tenancy agreement. As things stand, he has two joint tenants against whom he could pursue a claim for any unpaid rent, so it's not really in his interests to release you or your ex-partner from the contract. However, if you can't afford to pay the full rent I recommend you discuss the problem with your LL.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
        by jpkeates
        Paperwork shouldn't be an issue in claiming unpaid rent.
        Unpaid rent is usually easy to prove - the tenant's paid some and has obviously been renting something.

The issue is usually that the tenant doesn't have the money they owe.

The lack of agent and paperwork will...
        25-01-2022, 16:48 PM
      • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
        by Beeble
        We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
        25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
        by Hudson01
        As said above, unless being a landlord has been a childhood dream (weird if it were), i vote to sell and move on. A lot of experienced LL's are selling up anyway due to a multitude of rubbish from the govt, in your position, simply reap the reward of your late fathers good financial decisions and enjoy...
        25-01-2022, 16:44 PM
      • Inherited a few rentals
        by Landlord7289
        Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
        25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
      • Reply to What to do at the end of an AST period?
        by jtufty
        I hear you loud and clear! Periodic it is then! Cheers...
        25-01-2022, 16:39 PM
      • What to do at the end of an AST period?
        by jtufty
        Hi,

I rent a property. The initial 6 months of the AST ends in Jan 2022. The tenant is very nice and she asked yesterday if she can stay on for another 6 months.

Is it a simple case of just giving her another AST contract to sign? Im sure it is, but wondered if theres anything...
        28-12-2021, 08:35 AM
      • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
        by DoricPixie
        Why "in light of the minimal tenancy paperwork" do you think you will have a difficult time retrieving the money owed from the tenant?

As above, check the Section 21 is valid, see link to flow chart below. If the Section 21 is valid and the tenant is still in the property then...
        25-01-2022, 16:26 PM
      • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
        by jpucng62
        My property portfolio has always been managed by agents, originally through necessity (I was a long way away), latterly through choice (I don't want to be available 24/7). I use small independent agencies and I keep them on a tight rein - but it works for me! I like to have that distance between me...
        25-01-2022, 16:25 PM
      • Greetings, I Come in Peace
        by AVJ113
        Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
        20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
      • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
        by DoricPixie
        Another vote for sell unless being a landlord is something you are particularly interested in doing. Yes, you can use a letting agency to manage the lets but ultimately the buck stops with you and in my experience a lot of letting agencies out there are pretty crap. Plus as a higher rate tax payer...
        25-01-2022, 16:19 PM
      Working...
      X