Whos name on PRESCRIBED INFORMATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whos name on PRESCRIBED INFORMATION

I have a couple as tenants. head tenant (Male) has give all of the deposit and advance rent, the wife is also on the tenancy agreement as a tenant.

Do I need to write the wife's name on the PRESCRIBED INFORMATION? And do I need to get it signed by the wife too?

Originally posted by SALL View Post
    I have a couple as tenants. head tenant (Male) has give all of the deposit and advance rent, the wife is also on the tenancy agreement as a tenant.

Do I need to write the wife's name on the PRESCRIBED INFORMATION? And do I need to get it signed by the wife too?
    If it is a joint AST with both names on the contract, then it doesn't matter who paid the deposit or the rent; the two tenants are legally viewed as 'the Tenant' i.e., as if they are one person. The deposit should be protected in both names and the prescribed info should bear both names, too, (but you can deal with the 'lead tenant' for practical purposes. Are you using the DPS?

If so, you will see from this DPS document that both/all names are required and that both/all Ts should sign:

http://www.depositprotection.com/webcontent.ashx?docid=

Doh! It says the service is 'down'at the moment (20h30) but will be back!
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Yes both of them are added to the perscribed information as tenants.

You fill in the male tenants name as "the person who has supplied the deposit"

and both of them sign.

This eliminates any risk of the female tenant making a complaint at the end of the tenancy and claim to the deposit should anything happen to the relationship.

I check the details of the account where this money is coming from to confirm it is a sole account and where deposits are cash ask for a receipt from the joint account

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X