Landlord has given me 7 days to move out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord has given me 7 days to move out

Land lord has given me 7 days to move out?
    About two weeks ago myself and my housemates had a break in. They came in through the back passage gate which has no lock even though we have been on and on at the landlord to get a lock on it and they then came in through a kitchen window which has a broken catch so it just swings open and we have asked the land lord to fix that too as it is an all inclusive fully furnished house.

We have been in here for three months and the house has been dreadfull from beginning to end, the water has been on and off constantly my plugs in my room are an extension cable attached straight to the main fuse box and constantly surge and break any phone charger plugged into it and also switch off my computer randomly thus damaging the hard disks.

We had a total of three laptops and £415 stolen. We have refused to pay the rent this month, as we feel the landlord put us in an unsafe and unsecured house. This rent was supposed to be in on the 6th of July.
    The landlord has said that if we dont pay by the end up then we have to be out by the 16th of July.
    Am I right in thinking that legally we actually have 21 days to leave? We were only told we had to leave by 16th today (9th July).

I hope I am as the money that was stolen was my rent money and I cant pay it even if I wanted to.

Also what is the legality in regard to my deposit? There is no damage at all done by us.

My bedroom wall is not been fixed as the burglars kicked the door off and half the plaster came with it, the doors have been very poorly fixed back on are totally unsecure and all look a total mess.
    I have personally had to pay for a lock and fit it myself on the back gate and get keys cut for the neighbor and have personally had to secure the back window.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated

Before we can help you, can you please answer all of the questions below.

Is your property in England or Wales?
    Is your rent less than £2083 pcm?
    What was the start date of your AST (DD/MM/YY)?
    How long is your AST, six/twelve months?
    Did you pay a deposit?
    Has your deposit been protected?

Comment

Assuming you are in England or Wales and you are within your original fixed term, the Landlord cannot give you any notice to leave/quit before the end of the fixed term unless he has grounds under section 8. If he does has grounds, I believe he has to give 14 days. I doubt he does though, he seems like he's trying it on. If he wants you to leave due to unpaid rent, he has to wait until two months are unpaid to issue a Section 8 notice.

If you are outside your fixed term, the landlord has to give 2 months notice.

Did you put any of your complaints in writing?

Pointless question as I'd be surprised the answer is yes, has he protected the deposit in one of the 3 schemes? If not, he cannot issue a Sec. 21 notice to leave at the end of the fixed term and he cannot claim anything from the deposit.

Have you spoken to your Local Authority's private letting department? They may be able to help in compelling him to deal with the security issues.

Comment

Despite posts #2/3, one question might significantly change our views: does L himself reside in the same premises as you do?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Good point.

Comment

It sounds extremely unlikely that the LL resides in this nighmare of a house otherwise he would surely have taken steps to improve his own security, if not his Ts'.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

While the LL cannot evict you without a court order.

Do you really want to stay in this hell hole?

The lL has actually given you a lawful excuse to get out of your current fixed term without further liability (I hope the notice was in writing). Don't pay any more rent.

That said, take your time to find a new place (igbnore the LL's threats), then move a.s.a.p. at your convenience, that's what I'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
                While the LL cannot evict you without a court order.

Do you really want to stay in this hell hole?

The lL has actually given you a lawful excuse to get out of your current fixed term without further liability (I hope the notice was in writing). Don't pay any more rent.

That said, take your time to find a new place (igbnore the LL's threats), then move a.s.a.p. at your convenience, that's what I'd do.
                I agree. Very pragmatic advice! I'd do just that, before I became a H & S statistic.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X