Too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too good to be true?

A (relatively trusted) agent has just called me and told me about an elderly couple who want a house for three months whilst their house is being refurbished.

They are able to pay up front for the three months and the agent feels that he is able to extract up to 15% more than my monthly asking price because of the inconvenience of the short tenancy along with the estate agents fees.

This sounds perfect for me as I'm borderline desperate to get someone in and they are able to move in next week. Is this too good to be true?

Originally posted by sbedvek View Post
    an elderly couple......agent feels that he is able to extract up to 15% more than my monthly asking price
    What a Nice Agent.

Comment

Is this too good to be true?
      Things that sound too good to be true usually are just that.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I would say.

Do everything as you would along term let, credit cheques refs, etc.
        Don't accept a lump sum, a monthly direct debit, is better in case they don't move on. And take the same deposit as you normally would.

And it depends, if you mind, if they don't move out when they say they are.
        If it going to cause you a problem if they don't move, then Don't Do It, if you don't mind when they move out, then Why Not go for it.
        But I would get the agent to serve S8(G1), just in case.
        Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

Originally posted by mjbfire View Post
          I would say.

Do everything as you would along term let, credit cheques refs, etc.
          Don't accept a lump sum, a monthly direct debit, is better in case they don't move on. And take the same deposit as you normally would.

And it depends, if you mind, if they don't move out when they say they are.
          If it going to cause you a problem if they don't move, then Don't Do It, if you don't mind when they move out, then Why Not go for it.
          But I would get the agent to serve S8(G1), just in case.
          Is this a poem?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If you can humm it, i sing it
            Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

This is the sort of story that may or may not be on the level, in this case there would seem to be a simple way to confirm the story.

If they are on the level they will live locally so you could get their name and address and 'drop round' to discuss the tenancy. It should be fairly straight forward to see whether they are actually doing up a house.

Comment

A (relatively trusted) agent has just called me and told me about an elderly couple who want a house for three months whilst their house is being refurbished.

They are able to pay up front for the three months and the agent feels that he is able to extract up to 15% more than my monthly asking price because of the inconvenience of the short tenancy along with the estate agents fees.

This sounds perfect for me as I'm borderline desperate to get someone in and they are able to move in next week. Is this too good to be true?

I agree with others that you should meet the prospective tenants, preferably in their property.

If you are satisfied that these people are genuine, etc., I would do all the normal checks as I would do for any other tenant but in addition, I would have a property lawyer draw up the tenancy agreement, so that it includes provisions for what happens if the tenants don't wish to leave after 3 months.

If you consult a property lawyer, he/she may advise you not to agree to such a short let.

Don't forget that if you wanted them to leave before 6 months, you would have to wait until 6 months had expired before any action to evict them could take effect.

Comment

If a builder has told them it will take three months, assume they will be there for six anyway.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Doesn't strike me as anything unusual; if anything, I'd say 15% extra is a bit low for a short let. Just do the usual credit checks, and check that the T's house is in their name on the Land Registry (costs £4 online).

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ending contract with letting agent
                        by jpkeates
                        The deposit is the tenant’s money, and what the agent has to, or can do, with it depends on what they agreed with the tenant and / or you.
                        I don’t see how you can compel them to transfer the deposit to you unless they’ve previously agreed to do that.
                        27-05-2022, 06:16 AM
                      • Ending contract with letting agent
                        by Shorif908
                        Hi All,

Long story short, my agent of the last 18 months we have decided to depart ways.

I have most documents the only thing I don't have is documents related to the DPS.

I dont have the certificate so I dont know the deposit ID. The estate agent claims that...
                        27-05-2022, 05:50 AM
                      • Reply to Tenancy Agreement Help
                        by CStevens
                        Hi,

In answer to each question:

1. There is no reason why you cannot have the AST signed before. You would normally date it the date upon which the tenant takes up occupation but that's not necessary. You could date it once everyone has signed if they are happy;
                        27-05-2022, 06:14 AM
                      • Tenancy Agreement Help
                        by Harrison38784
                        Hi all,

I am a new landlord and looking for some help with the AST.

I have created a tenancy agreement which is now ready for signing.

The tenancy agreement is due to start on the 1st July.

Can the tenancy agreement be signed before the move in...
                        26-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                      • Reply to Agreement for friends to live in my house
                        by CStevens
                        You might as well grant them an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ('AST')because, unless you charge them less than £100 a year, it's going to be deemed to be an AST in any case. Perhaps grant it for 2 years then it can be a rolling periodic for the 3rd year if needed. Friend or not though you are going to...
                        27-05-2022, 06:06 AM
                      • Agreement for friends to live in my house
                        by Tippy
                        I cannot find a definitive answer to my question by googling so here goes.

I have a house that I wish to allow a family who are close friends to live in while I live abroad as UK non-resident. I am trying to work out what sort of contract I should make between us.

I don't mind...
                        26-05-2022, 08:48 AM
                      • Reply to Would you buy a tenanted property?
                        by DoricPixie
                        As jkpeates points out it would not. Is this going to be your first rental property and have you done any research into what being a landlord entails? Please don’t just say you’re going to use a letting agent....
                        26-05-2022, 23:04 PM
                      • Would you buy a tenanted property?
                        by artin
                        Hi

I'm looking to buy a maisonette to let as investment. It 's currently rented on AST contract, until April 2023. So ongoing tenancy.

Is it advisable to do such, buy a tenanted property?

Thanks
                        26-05-2022, 12:30 PM
                      • Reply to Electric inspection issue
                        by Plumbob
                        My family have owned the little bungalow for over 65 years and it's been rented out for the last 10 since my father died. And yes it was completely rewired in 2021. Bizarre request as the agent has the latest test certificate....
                        26-05-2022, 22:05 PM
                      • Electric inspection issue
                        by Plumbob
                        We have literally just relet our bungalow. The agent who handled the new let and the previous one, which only lasted a year due to the tenant having to go to a care home, asked for the initial inspection report from 10 years ago to apparently check against the new one done in May 21 . The whole place...
                        26-05-2022, 07:53 AM
                      Working...
                      X