Neighbour is abusive to tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbour is abusive to tenants

Hi, I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice of some sort.
    I have a house that I rent out, although it's proving to be very testing (!!)
    The only reason I rent is that the house prices fell and I just can't afford to sell it at the moment.
    Firstly I went to a letting agent thinking this was the safest option and after a year the tenant they put in left leaving me with student accommodation instead of the home that I have.
    After working really hard to make my little house into a home again, I now have a couple of people in there for a few weeks. They are lovely, really genuine people and are looking after the house great.
    However they recently told me that the woman from across the street started yelling and screaming at them both. The girl (who is tenant in the house) was doing her exercise routine in the living room (as she does every day) and the woman from across the street started yelling at the front door, slamming the door, yelling again, slamming the door - this went on but the tenant didn't know what was going on so simply ignored it not wanting to get involved in anything. When the second tenant came home from the shops, the neighbour started yelling at him saying that the first tenant was naked in front of the window and she wasn't having it, it had to stop then she started swearing at him and really being abusive. She then slammed the door. When the first tenant went out to the car the neighbour came back to the door shouting and when the tenant said 'I have a sweater on, I'm not naked' then the neighbour started swearing profusely then slammed the door again!!
    This same neighbour told me that same story about the last tenants who have now moved out - that they were naked in the windows all the time and she had to call the police.
    I've contacted the police and they have no records of being called out.
    I have no idea what to do - the neighbour obviously has problems of some sort so I don't really want to approach her directly, but it's quite obviously something I'm going to have to make future tenants aware of.
    Any suggestions at all?
    Thank you for any help - I'm really quite concerned about this!

The tenants need to make reports to the Police and the envirometal health office of the local authority.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

The dispute does not involve you. The obnoxious neighbour could be stopped by Court proceedings- but only if T starts them; you cannot.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

WOW, Well theres clearly something not right there

The only suggestions I have are:

To put accross your concerns in writing to her and explain that if there is any complaints against your tenants you would be happy to receive them in writing, however from your point of view the tenancy is progressing well, they are a nice couple and are looking after the property. What they do in the privacy of their home is up to them and not a matter for you to control.

(do we not think exercising in the nude would be a little painful anyway )

secondly, the tenants could have a word with your local community beat officer if you have one and ask for advise. Using vulgar language and slamming and threastening behaviour is disturbance of the peace. They may be able to caution her behaviour via a little chat

Comment

Originally posted by almcuk View Post
          the first tenant was naked in front of the window and she wasn't having it!
          Comment unnecessary.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

This is a problem for your Tenants to deal with.

One option would be for them to call the local police and explain what has happpened including the fact that the ranting female has done this before to previous occupants, giving details of any witnesses.

T then needs to ensure that the police record the incident as the first step towards what they consider to be harrassment, and get the police to record this as such. If the police accept that there has been more than 1 incident they may issue a 1st instance warning to the RF. This officially notes that "a course of conduct" as defined in the Act may have started. Any subsequent ranting can be dealt with by arrest. Protection From Harrassment Act, 1977.

In addition there may be offences under The Public Order Act, 1986 under s4 or s5 depending on the circumstances.

If the T is robust with the local police then they should do something.

pm
            Before acting on forum advice, you may wish to consult an expert, someone who has all the relevant facts, and who accepts liability for their advice.

Comment

Sounds like the neighbour has some issues either with her mental health or eyesight.

A simple solution might be some curtains?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X