Section 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8

I have a tenant that is in arrears of one and half months but the rent is due again on 12th. Can I serve the section 8 notice now for the two week period to start on the 12th? Hence no action will begin before 26th. I understand if he is not in two months arrears as at 26th I cannot begin proceedings for two months arrears but what if the I continued on grounds 11?

Notice s8

As I understand it, this type of notice cannot be served until and unless the tenant is in two clear months arrears. Well informed but impecunious tenants stay just under the two months arrears so that the landlord can do nothing precipitate during the term certain of the letting.

Comment

Originally posted by barretts View Post
      Can I serve the section 8 notice now for the two week period to start on the 12th?
      I understand that the law changed in 2008 / 9

Example. if rent due 12 june, and not paid, and on the 12 July if still no rent paid, you can now serve notice on the tenant on the 13th july, thereby after one month and one day you noticed the rent was not in your bank account you can issue your notice.

Two rent payments have been missed seems to be the criteria.

Although I cant remember which law site I read this on

R.a.M.

Comment

You read it here, posted by one of our legal experts, Jeffrey!

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          I understand that the law changed in 2008/ 9
          No, it didn't.

Originally posted by ram View Post
          Example. if rent due 12 june, and not paid, and on the 12 July if still no rent paid, you can now serve notice on the tenant on the 13th july, thereby after one month and one day you noticed the rent was not in your bank account you can issue your notice.

Two rent payments have been missed seems to be the criteria.
          Yes. Read again the exact wording of ground 8- and the difference between cases a/b on the one hand as against cases c/d on the other.
          See post #51 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...123#post226123
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
            by SouthernDave
            The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
            22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
          • Labour taxation plans
            by steaming
            Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
            20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by SouthernDave
            I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
            22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
          • Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by AVJ113
            Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
            20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
          • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
            by AndrewDod
            I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
            b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
            22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
          • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
            by Lucylou99
            Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
            21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
          • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
            by Lawcruncher
            It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
            22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
          • Occupational rent to an executor.
            by Yoda 111
            I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
            20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
            by AVJ113
            Not at all, it's all very informative, thank you. I think I might opt out of criterion 3 though, I'm not a pie and chips man myself....
            22-01-2022, 15:20 PM
          • Reply to Charity Opening up house next door as Temp Housing
            by jpkeates
            Whatever happened to innocent people co-operating with the authorities so that other people aren't abused?...
            22-01-2022, 15:17 PM
          Working...
          X