Can I change locks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that wouldn't be possible as 'Quiet Enjoyment' is above any such term.

Comment

Your quiet enjoyment clause should state that T agrees the exercise of the LL's rights udner the agreement shall not constitute an interference with its QE.

Comment

Exercising that 'right' would interfere with the T's right to 'Quiet Enjoyment', no matter what the agreement says.

Comment

Originally posted by roryl View Post
          Exercising that 'right' would interfere with the T's right to 'Quiet Enjoyment', no matter what the agreement says.
          "Would" or "may"?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

If done without the expressed agreement of the T, it would...

...maybe, I'm not too sure. This is beyond my pay grade now.

Comment

Well in any case - he hasn't withdrawn consent to allow us access because he is not there to either give it or not give it.

After further inspection on wednesday night - where the smashed window had been boarded up by tenant, it had been forced open on the one side - leaving window again insecure.

Still no answer from tenant and new neighbours next door (been there for 2 weeks) say they think the property is empty.

We handposted a letter on wednesday after seeing the smashed window under 'emergency' clause that kitchen window was smashed and insecure and therefore we would be entering property the following evening to inspect (i.e. giving 24hours notice).

We have been in tonight. The tenant has clearly left - there are no belongings / the kitchen cupboards and fridge empty/ wardrobes/bathroom upstairs empty/ no bedding - pile of post by the front door - looks like unpaid bills (water/gas/council tax) and free newspapers dating back to end of May. Washing machine has been taken.

We are obviously going to get the window repaired. Can we now also post notices of abandonment and claim the house back after 2 weeks? I really don't think he is coming back. We are at least going to start cleaning up the back garden as it is an absolute mess and neighbours are complaining.

Thanks,

Comment

Strictly, the only way to safely proceed is to get a possession order from the court. However, in your shoes, I would follow the abandonment process and get the place re-let and earning ASAP.

Good luck.

Comment

Well rightly or wrongly i would have entered ages ago by shouting

Gas gas gas, breaking the door down to turn of the gas supply (ish)

Job done

Comment

Ha ha! Yes, well - with us being relatively new to this and there seems to be so much legislation on tenant's side (and I do understand why that is sometimes) - we just were very cautious. My husband is v annoyed about the whole thing and wants to sue this guy for rent arrears (not had any since feb) and damage but I would rather just forget it now - get the house sorted out and move on - put it down to bad experience :-(

Comment

You can be cautious and dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" or do what most do and clean up and re-let it.
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X