T wants to end Letting early- rights to do so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The clause says AT 6 months, not any time AFTER 6 months. While I respect your barrister friends opinion, he works in criminal law not civil, which probably means he doesn't encounter tenancy agreements in his normal working day.

Comment

Originally posted by 1elle View Post
      At the back we get under "notes for new tenants"

"Your Tenancy Agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a fixed term of 12 months with a 6 month break clause. There is NO PROVISION for the early termination of this tenancy. This means that by signing the agreement you are undertaking to pay rent for the full period. You cannot give notice to quit during this period and if you leave the property without the Landlord's consent and before the end of the fixed term, you are still liable for all the rent due until the end of the tenancy"

The notice period is one month.

My work colleague told me that that meant I could move any time after 6 months - this is a standard wording for AST with break clause.

However on the front it says "option to break at 6 months". Does this then override what my work colleague said?

PS: I am also Tbone
      Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
      The clause says AT 6 months, not any time AFTER 6 months. While I respect your barrister friends opinion, he works in criminal law not civil, which probably means he doesn't encounter tenancy agreements in his normal working day.
      No, that clause merely refers to a break-clause's existence. Is there an explicit break clause? What does it say, precisely?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by 1elle View Post
        At the back we get under "notes for new tenants"

"Your Tenancy Agreement is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a fixed term of 12 months with a 6 month break clause. There is NO PROVISION for the early termination of this tenancy. This means that by signing the agreement you are undertaking to pay rent for the full period. You cannot give notice to quit during this period and if you leave the property without the Landlord's consent and before the end of the fixed term, you are still liable for all the rent due until the end of the tenancy"
        These 'notes' may not necessarily form part of the contract.

The notice period is one month.

My work colleague told me that that meant I could move any time after 6 months - this is a standard wording for AST with break clause.

However on the front it says "option to break at 6 months". Does this then override what my work colleague said?
        As Jeffrey says, you need to tell us the exact wording of the actual break clause in the contract - not what it says in the notes or on the cover page of the contract.

PS: I am also Tbone
        It would a lot less confusing if you stuck to one user name.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X