Baliffs - Person they're after has done a runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baliffs - Person they're after has done a runner

Any one give me some advice problem is the main tenant i was dealing with when it came to collecting rent. i was informed by him that he was taking a 2weeks holiday back home to germany. as the council tax was in his name. he was getting letters from council for none payments.as far as the other tenants they payed him there share off the council tax avery month. couple off days ago balliffs turn up at the house. they shown that the tenant made 2 payment off £150 each month then done a runner. as the contract was for 6months now that has ended he is longer a tenant there

the council tax he owes is for full year

Any help how to go about clearing this problem

Originally posted by BlueBox View Post
    Any one give me some advice problem is the main tenant i was dealing with when it came to collecting rent. i was informed by him that he was taking a 2weeks holiday back home to germany. as the council tax was in his name. he was getting letters from council for none payments.as far as the other tenants they payed him there share off the council tax avery month. couple off days ago balliffs turn up at the house. they shown that the tenant made 2 payment off £150 each month then done a runner. as the contract was for 6months now that has ended he is longer a tenant there

Any help how to go about clearing this problem
    If the council tax is in the tenants' names it is not your problem, although you may like to supply the council with contact details for the T who has done a runner. It is up to them to pursue one or more of the tenants (assuming a joint tenancy) for the money.

If however the CT is in your name, then you will ultimately be liable whether or not the Ts pay you.

What provision was made for the payment of CT?

Personally, I would be more worried about the lack of rent - or did absconding T pay the full fixed term's rent up front?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      If the council tax is in the tenants' names it is not your problem, although you may like to supply the council with contact details for the T who has done a runner. It is up to them to pursue one or more of the tenants (assuming a joint tenancy) for the money.

If however the CT is in your name, then you will ultimately be liable whether or not the Ts pay you.

What provision was made for the payment of CT?

Personally, I would be more worried about the lack of rent - or did absconding T pay the full fixed term's rent up front?
      the rent was payed on time as the guy has done a runner can the baliffs still take other tenants stuff or my stuff that i provided them with cooker/ beds ect all i trying to do is help them out

Comment

the rent was payed on time as the guy has done a runner can the baliffs still take other tenants stuff or my stuff that i provided them with cooker/ beds ect all i trying to do is help them out
        Please answer the question : was this a joint tenancy or not, and in whose name(s) was the CT account?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Please answer the question : was this a joint tenancy or not, and in whose name(s) was the CT account?
          yes joint tenancy

i have had the same tenants for the last 2 years. last year one off the tenant who was on the joint tenancy left. the CT was only in the name off the person that did the runner

Comment

When one left:
            a. was the AST's fixed term still running; or
            b. had that term already expired?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              When one left:
              a. was the AST's fixed term still running; or
              b. had that term already expired?
              yes AST was still running problem is both off them are no longer in the country

Comment

yes AST was still running problem is both of them are no longer in the country
                Good- so they continued to be jointly and severally liable for the rest of the fixed term, despite one's disappearance;
                but bad- as they've both left the jurisdiction and are probably beyond the reach of any litigation here.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                  Good- so they continued to be jointly and severally liable for the rest of the fixed term, despite one's disappearance;
                  but bad- as they've both left the jurisdiction and are probably beyond the reach of any litigation here.
                  I think i speak to the council see what they say about this. also i fear my own property being taken cant understand how baliffs can remove stuff when that person no longer lives there or prove the item belonged to him

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X