Pets question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pets question

I have lived in the property since feb 2010. Not once fallen behind with rent, looking after the house and gardens well and caused no problems.

My mother passed away 8weeks ago and left behind her rabbit and cat. A family member took them in but is now having problems keeping them (her children have allergies).

Does anyone know the views on landlords allowing pets? Obviously the rabbit would be outside and the cat is an adult, trained etc.

How would I approach the landlord about it?

The tenancy says pets are at the landlords discretion and must be given in writing.

I just dont fancy rehoming them to anyone who wants a pet for the sake of it.

Any help would be great.

It genuinely would be at the discretion of the landlord. Unfortunately, even well-behaved house pets can have accidents (especially in a strange house) and so your landlord may well be worried about potential damage from this new occupant.

If it were me, I would be looking to increase the amount of security deposit held, just in case of any deposits by the pet!

Comment

Yes, all you can do is ask the LL. Be prepared to pay for professional steam cleaning of carpets and soft furnishings at the end of the tenancy, as future tenants may be allergic to cat hair. Flea eggs may also lie dormant in carpet fibres.

However well-behaved, most cats will scratch furniture etc to sharpen their claws. I suggest, if you get permission for the cat, that you try these out - http://www.spuk.com/ (or be prepared to pay for any damage caused by the cat).

Comment

Originally posted by michelle_stt View Post
        I just dont fancy rehoming them to anyone who wants a pet for the sake of it.

Any help would be great.
        Rest assured that if you give them to the RSPCA/a pet sanctuary, they will not be re-homed without very rigorous checks being out. We adopted two kittens three years ago. It involved endless checks as to the suitability of ourselves and our home (the main road a mile away was a bit of a sticking point!) and the woman from the Pet Rescue still comes round to check we are being nice to them.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks for the help.

My mum had the cat from a kitten and she is now 14 years old. She knows the family so wouldn't want to really put her through the stress of rehoming through the rspca.

I would be prepared to get the carpets cleaned and flea treated (as all the curtains are ours. None were provided)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X