problem evicting tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem evicting tenants

Tenants are currently in arrears of approx £4000, we have served them their 2 months notice to vacate the property. I dont even want the £4000 I just want them out.

Today I have received a letter from the housing association stating a complaint has been made by the tenant that numerous amounts of works are needed on the property.

Never have our tenants informed us of this extensive list, only when asked to vacate the property have they mentioned these, the fact they owe us so much money is probably why they have never had the cheek to mention them and im sure they have caused the damage themselves to make me look bad.

We bought the property with them as sitting tenants in 2007 and have had problems with rent from day one, we have been so lenient with them, stupidly, we should never have let this go on so long. But now they owe us so much money and it is just getting more and more.

We need some advice regarding the notice from the council, will this mean we cant evict them until we get the work done? They are due to move out on the 9th August.

We have no problem getting the works done for when we eventually hopefully get respectful, paying tenants but not whilst they are there, why should we do the work when they are living in OUR property rent free, and half the damage has been caused by them losing their keys and fighting in the property.

I just cant believe they owe me £4000 and I dont even want the money back and they are doing this to me, its got my back up so much Im thinking well should I try and claim the rent back now and be just as awkward as them, Im sure no other lanlord would have been so lenient with them, It just shows that being nice doesnt get you anywhere.

Hoping for some advice regarding the letter from housing

Thanks

Tell the council to forward the written requests informing you about the repairs, and carry on with the eviction process.

It has no baring on the eviction.
    You are still responsible for the repairs, but don't rush.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Are you evicting under section 8 or section 21? If 21 - why?

The repairs shouldn't affect the eviction, but once you have the list of repairs, as suggested by thesaint, work out a schedule to get them done. You are going to need to get them done, so may as well do it now while tenants are in situ - it will save time on re-letting, and will help if the tenants do try to turn it into a 'defence'.

Have you done periodic inspections of the property while the tenants have been there? Have these revealed any repairing issues?

Do not expect your tenants to go on the 9th unless you have a court order. The council housing people will have told them they are within their rights to stay until you do get an order - and beyond.

Comment

Hello and thanks for both of your replies...

thesaint, I have a list of the works they want me to complete already in my possession, its a relief to hear that it hopefully wont stop me evicting them, although like snorkerZ said they may use it against me in court if it goes to court. My concern is though if we the works done now what if they ruin it to get back at us, I also don't want them to think they have got the better of us, these people owe me £4000 in rent, I think they have a cheek, especially when I don't even want the £4000 I just want them out, maybe they don't realise this??

Snorkerz... I had a solicitor send them section 21, I dont know why, that was just what was recommended as they owe so much over such a long time.

so what do you think my next step should be then? should I ring the housing officer who sent me this letter and see if he actually knows how much money these tenants actually owe me, or will I just be wasting my time? shall I go straight back to my solicitor? whats likely to happen now?

Sorry for all the questions , I must learn about all this incase of any future troubles.

Thanks

Kelly

Comment

Oh its a section 21 assured shorthold tenancy: notice requiring possession if that means anything ...

Comment

hi sorry to hear about this. Probably worth making sure the council tax people know they are due to leave 9 aug so they can go after any arrears. I am no expert but I think I read the LL can be liable for T arrears if T made false declarations for exemption.

At least then yr liability is capped at the 4k arrears not an extra bill for unpaid council tax.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Are they my lodgers or tenants?
              by theartfullodger
              Tenants. Moving back in won't change that.

How many occupants do you have please?
              06-12-2021, 22:53 PM
            • Are they my lodgers or tenants?
              by Livingonaprayer
              Hi all.
              I bought a house, lived in it for a few months, then had friends ask me if they could move in as had to leave their property and were struggling to find somewhere with their dog. I agreed and drew up lodging agreement and they moved in.
              Unfortunately our dogs did not get on, and...
              06-12-2021, 20:46 PM
            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by AndrewDod
              If that were so straightforwardly the case then I would easily be able to a secure a tenancy for my friend's daughter (D) who has zero credit rating, and zero ability to pay rent.

I would take a 6M tenancy myself, immediately grant a 4 year tenancy at quarter my original rent to D, let...
              06-12-2021, 21:53 PM
            • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by Bert1e
              Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
              28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
            • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
              by alice123
              I'm sorry you are in this situation , from what i have heard from someone these 'no win no fee' type of 'solicitors' take a massive chunk out of any claim for their own fees , which would leave your tenant with rather less money that he/she would have anticipated.

One of the reasons why...
              06-12-2021, 21:13 PM
            • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
              by llplug
              I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
              19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
            • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
              by KTC
              The term lawful here applies to private landlord. It's a term that does not just exist within the Housing Act 1988, but also Rent Act 1977, and probably other places. In this context, it basically means as the Shelter page summarised, did the mesne tenant have permission to sublet. That section of the...
              06-12-2021, 21:11 PM
            • Reply to Accelerated possession order
              by Hudson01
              This is a good point..... also, not wishing to tempt fate, but with the increase in Covid type restrictions is it beyond thinking that we may have another xmas ban on evictions ???? I do not believe it is needed but you know what the lefties are like....
              06-12-2021, 21:01 PM
            • Accelerated possession order
              by Pariah81
              A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
              05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
            • Reply to Accelerated possession order
              by L4NDLORD
              this is not a great time to try to get possession, I would recommend that you tolerate them a bit longer. The Judge is not going to be sympathetic and besides these cases are going to take a long time to come to Court.
              06-12-2021, 20:55 PM
            Working...
            X