Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

housing benefit

hello

This is a bit of a tricky one (for me it is lol)

right i currently live in a council property with my mum, she gets the rent and council tax paid as she recives a disability benfit, i want to buy a property and rent it to her and poss live there to, will she still be able to get her rent paid - to me from the council?

just to add - surely she should, i know shes my mother but i cant afford to have her living rent free

Comment

Now I'd say that is taking advantage of the system.You can't have your cake and eat too.
      Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

well i for for the DWP and wouldnt say its taking advantage, she should be entitled.

why would it be taking advantage?

so you would let someone live in your house rent free??

Comment

Originally posted by wxmlad
          well i for for the DWP and wouldnt say its taking advantage, she should be entitled.

why would it be taking advantage?
          Well you are taking the p for someone if im not mistaken is working for the Department of works and pensions and you are using your knowledge to exploit the system
          Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Originally posted by pms
            Well you are taking the p for someone if im not mistaken is working for the Department of works and pensions and you are using your knowledge to exploit the system

im not, she cant pay rent so why shouldnt I have a contribution only seems fair.

Just to add I am not exploting the system, could you please explain this???

Comment

Hi,

My mother recently took in a lodger to help with the bills. He applied for housing benefit to pay her some rent. The DWP would not pay as they say the tenancy was created to take advantage of the housing benefit system as it was not advertised or offered to anyone else. The they stopped her benefits for co habitation and shes had a nightmare surving with no money.

Its a private house but similar case.

Comment

Its a tricky situation .. HB don't like paying rent to family members , whether it's in the same or separate propeerty, unless it can be shown that the property is purely a investment for you and that you treated your mother like any prospective tenant. This, apparently, can be achieved if you advertised it for rent on the open market prior to your mother moving in and were able to show that she was the better tenant.

What is wrong with where she lives now, if shes getting her HB paid there?
                Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Rent paid

Does she get the full rent paid?
                  If so do they know you are also living there?

Apart from that I can see where you are coming from, and my view is if she did lodge with you, in your new home, then why couldn't she have assistance towards paying you rent. At least it frees up a council house when there is a demand for these properties.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, but working for the DWP surely you could find out that info from someone.

Comment

I was able to get HB when I rented our investment property to our son, but was only able to do this as I was able to prove it had been bought as an investment (BTL mortgage) AND had been advertised on the open market (Estate Agents' Publicity and letter of Confirmation).

He now lives back in the family home (we moved out!) and I can't claim HB for him in this property.

Comment

im not, she cant pay rent so why shouldnt I have a contribution only seems fair.

Just to add I am not exploting the system, could you please explain this???
                      If it's not exploiting the system then what is.You go and buy a house you then rent it too your mother you then claim Housing Benifit which over a period of time pays for the property and that's not exploiting the system.You are insulting a lot of hardworking Landlords and Tenants who use there time to post advice on here and to research certain questions and your actually asking our advice on how to exploit it.

Sorry to the other poster's but I had to get that off my chest.

Comment

We currently live in a council house, and have been victims of a hate campaign from a family in the village this has caused loads of stress and made us ill, the council have try to move us but still havent come up with anything. So this seemed arre only option, a officer from housing benfit came around and told us that we could rent privately, so this is why i wanted to get a mortgage. My mother was entitled to full housing benfit as she recieves a disabilty benefit.

The mortgage im looking at is intrest only. I alaso thought it would be an investment, Im really not sure wot to do.

Comment

Originally posted by pms
                          If it's not exploiting the system then what is.You go and buy a house you then rent it too your mother you then claim Housing Benifit which over a period of time pays for the property and that's not exploiting the system.You are insulting a lot of hardworking Landlords and Tenants who use there time to post advice on here and to research certain questions and your actually asking our advice on how to exploit it.

is this just not like renting out any property to someone on housing benefit? I think your comments are uncalled for, and im am certianlly not trying to exploit the system or asking advice on how to. I think you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about housing benefit, if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say why bother wasting mine and your time trying to be akward and unhelpful, you have basically put me down from the beging of this thread
                          others have put their unbaised comments forward.

You have NO right to accuse me of exploting the system!!

Comment

Originally posted by pms

I asked a question, NOT your comments on me as a person, and this could be asked anywhere by anyone!

I think your rather rude.

The difference being is that the person wanting to share my property is on benefits which i cant see why they shouldnt contribute something, I think you might be thinking im asking about getting full benefit, I only mean will she be entitled to something as in a % amount as rent

Comment

We currently live in a council house, and have been victims of a hate campaign from a family in the village this has caused loads of stress and made us ill, the council have try to move us but still havent come up with anything.
                              This is awful. The Council are depriving you of the right to accommodation without victimisation and a then chance to buy a Council house at substantial discount. It's not fair you don't have a chance to buy a Council house at a discount and get Housing Benefits to do so. Maybe you should make complaint to the Ombudsman.

If you do raise an official complaint it might be worthwhile checking what if anything your Mum has put on her Benefit claim form as your contribution towards the rent or household costs etc. The reason for this advice is that there could be a claim for refund of overpayments if all income has not been properly declared.

I'm really sorry that suffering in the way you have that you feel you may have been victimised by certain contributors to this thread
                              Vic - wicked landlord
                              Any advice or suggestions given in my posts are intended for guidance only and not a substitute for completing full searches on this forum, having regard to the advice of others, or seeking appropriate professional opinion.
                              Without Plain English Codes of Practice and easy to complete Prescribed Forms the current law is too complex and is thus neither fair to good tenants nor good landlords.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X