housing benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Worldlife
    This is awful. The Council are depriving you of the right to accommodation without victimisation and a then chance to buy a Council house at substantial discount. It's not fair you don't have a chance to buy a Council house at a discount and get Housing Benefits to do so. Maybe you should make complaint to the Ombudsman.

If you do raise an official complaint it might be worthwhile checking what if anything your Mum has put on her Benefit claim form as your contribution towards the rent or household costs etc. The reason for this advice is that there could be a claim for refund of overpayments if all income has not been properly declared.

I'm really sorry that suffering in the way you have that you feel you may have been victimised by certain contributors to this thread
    Thank you for the advice

I just wanted to know if she moved with me would she have any option of a contribution, eg £40 per week i was in no way suggesting that the HB payed my mortgage as it was suggest earlier i think i was misunderstood.

Thw police and council have been involved and one of the familes ahs been issued with an harrasment order, we just want to get out of here!!

Comment

You can't get Housing Benefit if you pay rent to a "close relative" you live with. Your mum may be able to claim if you don't live there, but you would have to prove that the house had not been bought to take advantage of the HB system. Not sure how you prove this- maybe rent to someone else for 6 months before letting your mum move in? And remember, HB may pay less than what you think is a market rent for the house, and your mum would have to find the rest from her benefits.Also, if you are earning, she would get more HB if you don't live with her.
      With local authorities under pressure to reduce homelessness and having a shortage of council housing, it might be worth approaching them and asking how they would regard your situation- they might be glad to get the council house back for someone else.

Comment

This may clarify things for you ... The Housing Benefit Regulations 1987

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1987/Uks..._en_1.htm#tcon

The LA will want to see that you have not taken advantage of the Housing Benefit scheme and this is far more likely to happen with family members than with strangers in anorma LL and Tenant scenario.

The onus is on you to prove that you have not taken advantage of it not for them to prove you have - they will automatically assume it!

You stated in one of your previous posts (quoted below) that one of your reasons for buying a property is as an investment so in fact that very quote indicates you DO want to exploit the system, even if it IS only for £40 p.w. its still taxpayers money that you are expecting subsidise you in making a capital gain.

I don't understand why, if you have enough income to take on a mortgage in the first place, you would then want to charge your disabled mother rent over and above her general "keep" which I'm sure she's paying already.

And by the way - I'm a tenant on ALL the disability benefits and Housing Benefit, so I'm not biased against HB recipients as you have accused pms of being.

Originally posted by wxmlad
        The mortgage im looking at is intrest only. I alaso thought it would be an investment, Im really not sure wot to do.
        Any information or opinion given in this post is based only on my personal experience, what I have learned from this, other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person. E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by wxmlad
          I asked a question, NOT your comments on me as a person, and this could be asked anywhere by anyone!

I think your rather rude.

The difference being is that the person wanting to share my property is on benefits which i cant see why they shouldnt contribute something, I think you might be thinking im asking about getting full benefit, I only mean will she be entitled to something as in a % amount as rent
          I for one do not have a bee in my bonnett about HB as you have implied.HB is payable to the people who deserve it i.e people who can't meet their rent and do the best that they can.In your case you are using the system and using it for your own means i.e to buy a property and let the state pay for it through HB thats no different to council tenants letting their property get into such a state where it has to be refurbished and when it is spruced up to the state that is satisfied to them they then stick in a RTB.So don't tell me any different.
          Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Originally posted by pippay

The LA will want to see that you have not taken advantage of the Housing Benefit scheme and this is far more likely to happen with family members than with strangers in anorma LL and Tenant scenario.

The onus is on you to prove that you have not taken advantage of it not for them to prove you have - they will automatically assume it!

You stated in one of your previous posts (quoted below) that one of your reasons for buying a property is as an investment so in fact that very quote indicates you DO want to exploit the system, even if it IS only for £40 p.w. its still taxpayers money that you are expecting subsidise you in making a capital gain.

I don't understand why, if you have enough income to take on a mortgage in the first place, you would then want to charge your disabled mother rent over and above her general "keep" which I'm sure she's paying already.

And by the way - I'm a tenant on ALL the disability benefits and Housing Benefit, so I'm not biased against HB recipients as you have accused pms of being.
            Pippay I must say you are one of the genuine case's.You have put your cards on the table and told us your problem from the start and have contibuted to the forum(ok dont let it go over your head LOL) in a very positive way and you have a lot of respect from the other posters.If it was the difference of giving HB to them(meaning the OP) or you.I would give it too you for the simple reason you are not trying to milk the system they are.
            Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Comment

Originally posted by pms
              I for one do not have a bee in my bonnett about HB as you have implied.HB is payable to the people who deserve it i.e people who can't meet their rent and do the best that they can.In your case you are using the system and using it for your own means i.e to buy a property and let the state pay for it through HB thats no different to council tenants letting their property get into such a state where it has to be refurbished and when it is spruced up to the state that is satisfied to them they then stick in a RTB.So don't tell me any different.

Have u
              you not read anything i posted?!?!?!?! im not try to get HB to pay my mortgage! my mother says she wants to contribute towards the house keeping but cannot afford to. i only asked a question you could of explained to me with out being so rude

Comment

Originally posted by pippay

1. a friend would of come to live with me and paid me some kind of rent.

2. it was a general question ' would my mother be entilted to any help if she were to pay me anything for living at my property.

3. PMS straight away accused me of trying to defraud the system without askin any other questions, which i felt was out of order i asked for adivce not to be put down in a personal unprovoked attack.

4. My mother is so desparate to move- this seems our only option, working for the DWP im certinally not going to risk loosing my job , im just disgusted by people streotypical comments from the offset, when i reply on forums i ask probing question not launch in to attack mode!!

Im sorry if i upset anyone , like i said before it was a question, not my motive to defraud the system

Comment

Get off your high horse!

PMS I have to say I think you have jumped the gun here and let your personal emotions get the better of you.
                  There is no one worse than me who detests people sponging off the state but you may have generalised here and got the wrong end of the stick.
                  At least this person here has a job and is working for the DWP rather than spend time being there receiving their benefits!
                  She asked a genuine question and does not deserve to be vilified in the way you have done.
                  Anyway that's my opinion!!!

Comment

The main problem with a relative claiming housing benefit/local housing allowance is proving that the tenancy is not "contrived" to make use of the HB/LHA systems. Why should you not be able to let to a relative and charge them the same rent as you would anyone else in housing benefit's eyes I don't know.

You buy an investment house to make a profit by letting it - not to take advantage of the HB regs - and unless it is proven that no rent is passing between the relatives, then the assumption should be at the beginning that it is not a contrived tenancy. A very simple way is for the landlord and tenant to prove an auditable trail that shows rent being paid - that should satisfy any doubts - along with the provision of an agreement and rent book.

For a local authority to immediatly assume a tenancy is contrived is to effectively accuse the landlord and tenant of attempted fraud!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X