Letting Agreement wording- to shorten eviction process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Agreement wording- to shorten eviction process

I'm new to the forum, so hi to everyone.

I'm just signing a new tenant into a property, and I'm looking for the form of words which I can add to a tenancy agreement which will allow me to shorten the process should it come to that in a few years' time - although every sign is that I have an excellent tenant lined up.

A family member has just taken a bath because they had to go through the full "wait 2 months then gain possession via Court" process and I believe that this process can be shortened.

My apologies for the imprecise question, but I only run a couple of properties and usually have very long term tenants. So I'm just discovering the joys of EPCs, deposit registration schemes, and the rest.

Rgds

Midlands Landlord
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
    I'm just signing a new tenant into a property, and I'm looking for the form of words which I can add to a tenancy agreement which will allow me to shorten the process should it come to that in a few years' time - although every sign is that I have an excellent tenant lined up.
    Please be more specific about what 'process' it is you think you may wish to 'shorten'. I have no idea what you are talking about, I'm afraid.

A family member has just taken a bath because they had to go through the full "wait 2 months then gain possession via Court" process and I believe that this process can be shortened.

Taken a bath? Is that Midlands slang for something criminal?

If, (as I suspect), you are referring to evicting tenants quickly, then there are no short cuts and nothing you choose to add to or remove from your tenancy agreement can override the procedures for regaining possession which are laid down by law. If you find them tedious and inconvenient, then perhaps you need to seek alternative employment! Perhaps investment banking might suit you better. No moral scruples needed : rolleyes:
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Taken a bath? Is that Midlands slang for something criminal?
      What a shower.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

>mind the gap

>Taken a bath? Is that Midlands slang for something criminal?

No, it means "suffered a financial loss". In their case it was the usual story of a tenant who just stopped paying rent yet decided to stay. The loss suffered was 4 months worth of rent while a tenant was evicted.

AFAIK it is a universal term. For example in the Webster's dictionary (and it won't allow me post a link).

>Please be more specific about what 'process' it is you think you may wish to 'shorten'. I have no idea what you are talking about, I'm afraid.
        >If, (as I suspect), you are referring to evicting tenants quickly, then there are no short cuts and nothing you choose to add to or remove from your tenancy agreement can override the procedures for regaining possession which are laid down by law.

I'll check up when I can if no one can advise, when she comes out of the other side of a major schools-crisis - which was why I asked here. I think the source was the RLA.

>If you find them tedious and inconvenient, then perhaps you need to seek alternative employment! Perhaps investment banking might suit you better. No moral scruples needed : rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That implication is a bit out of order.

No ideas about Investment Bankers, except that they are part of an industry which manage most of our pensions .

My own moral scruples say that it is OK to put a clause in a tenancy agreement which is in accordance with the law.

Rgds

ML

Comment

But use of the > symbol does not help readers. Please use LZ's 'quote' facility instead!
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Comply or die may be the answer here.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              But use of the > symbol does not help readers. Please use LZ's 'quote' facility instead!
              Thanks. Noted.

ML

Comment

>

My own moral scruples say that it is OK to put a clause in a tenancy agreement which is in accordance with the law.

Rgds

ML
                OK, so the LL is not you, as you seemed to imply by the use of the first person in #1.

Perhaps we can be clear about something else. I did not say it was not OK to put a legally acceptable clause into a tenancy agreement - simply that there is no legally acceptable clause which would help a LL get a tenant out of a property more quickly and conveniently than by the process already enshrined in statute. Research 'illegal eviction' and you will see that I was being entirely serious about that.

The fact that you were even asking the question was what made me raise the question of your 'moral scruples' (or lack of them), although I was not being entirely serious about that.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

they had to go through the full "wait 2 months then gain possession via Court" process and I believe that this process can be shortened....

In their case it was the usual story of a tenant who just stopped paying rent yet decided to stay. The loss suffered was 4 months worth of rent while a tenant was evicted.
                  How to limit unpaid rent:
                  • take six weeks' deposit
                  • get a guarantor if the tenant's finances are in any way precarious
                  • serve a s.8 notice the day after there are two months' rent owing and unpaid (if rent is payable monthly)
                  • apply for possession the day after the 14 days' notice expires

Comment

Isn't he just talking about issuing a Section 21 at the beginning of a tenancy? At least, that is the impression I got from the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                      Isn't he just talking about issuing a Section 21 at the beginning of a tenancy? At least, that is the impression I got from the OP.
                      "After", not "At". The AST must have at least started before L can serve T under s.21(1)(b).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        "After", not "At". The AST must have at least started before L can serve T under s.21(1)(b).
                        Ah yes, good point. Cheers for pointing that out! Maybe that isn't what the OP was talking about then.

Comment

Mind the Gap, thanks for your reply.

Thanks everyone else for the comments. I think I am referring to early (effectively at the start of the tenancy, immediately after the agreement is signed) service of a possession notice.

Rgds

ML

Comment

Mind the Gap, thanks for your reply.

Thanks everyone else for the comments. I think I am referring to early (effectively at the start of the tenancy, immediately after the agreement is signed) service of a possession notice.

Rgds

ML
                            You're welcome. Thank you for clarifying what you were on about.

There are many threads on this forum about the advisability (or otherwise) of serving a section 21 Notice Requiring Possession as soon as a tenancy begins. The most powerful argument against so doing, in my view and that of many experienced LLs, is that it makes a useless 'Welcome to your new home' greeting to your new Ts, who often panic, misunderstand the notice and assume they are going to be 'evicted' even if they have done nothing wrong. Unsurprisingly they are often unconvinced by the LL's/agent's reassurance that it is 'perfectly normal and just routine'. A bit like going to the dentist for a check up and discovering he has booked you in to have all your teeth out 'jut in case they go bad later'.

Another good reason not to serve a s21 at the outset (as opposed to two months before the end of the fixed term) is that it makes absolutely no difference at all to the timescale in which you can regain possession. Nor is it a guarantee that T will give up possession anyway. You may still have to apply for a court order and instruct bailiffs, whether you had served the s21 on Day 1, or last day of FT minus 2 months.

Some agents (perhaps even some LLs) do serve s21s as a matter of course on Day 1 and if you ask them why, they shuffle embarrassedly in a Uriah Heep sort of way and claim that it is in case they 'forget' later on. Actually it is because it is in the agent's interest for the tenancy to be ended and another one entered into (because they can make more money from this).

Comment

""is that it makes absolutely no difference at all to the timescale in which you can regain possession""

i have never understood this argument, that an early serving of S2 saves no time.... this is how i understand it. ..

tenant moves in January 1 on 6 months AST
                              landlord serves S21 Feb 1
                              tenant goes bad with poor behaviour, LL wants them out
                              Landlord applies to court for possession ` 2nd July

tenant moved in Jan 1
                              tenant goes bad
                              LL serves S21 1st July
                              LL applies to court for possession 2nd September

QED landlord gains 2 months ......

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
                                02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
                              • End of tenancy questions
                                by leasee123
                                Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
                                01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
                              • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
                                Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
                                02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
                              • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                                by bob369
                                Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
                                24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
                                02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
                              • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by Section20z
                                The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
                                02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
                              • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
                                by meehr
                                For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
                                01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
                                by leasee123
                                But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
                                02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to who's repsponsibility
                                by jpucng62
                                Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
                                02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
                              • who's repsponsibility
                                by madmaxwell
                                Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
                                02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
                              Working...
                              X