Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Debt Collection Agency for unpaid rent

My tenants moved out without paying previous 3 months rent
    They also left the place in a mess: missing white goods, light fitting, carpets, built in cupboards.

I want to pursue them for the rent and damage/repairs. Can someone recommend a debt collection agent?

I have their forwarding address so the agent won't need to to looking.

Originally posted by Mitz View Post
    My tenants moved out without paying previous 3 months rent
    They also left the place in a mess: missing white goods, light fitting, carpets, built in cupboards.

I want to pursue them for the rent and damage/repairs. Can someone recommend a debt collection agent?

I have their forwarding address so the agent won't need to to looking.
    I have used Hunter Services (UK) Ltd. and it seems OK.
    82 Castle Lane West, Bournemouth BH9 9JU
    Telephone: 01202-516625
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I would highly recommend:
      Thornbury Collection Services Ltd
      Thornbury House
      Thornbury Close
      Rhiwbina
      Cardiff
      CF14 1UT
      0844 8000 236 ask for Peter Hopkins

independant impartial inventories

Comment

Debt collection

Hello
        My nightmare tenant moved out a couple of weeks ago leaving a string of unpaid bills. I told the electricity company to change the bill into my name for 2 weeks and then into my new tenant's name - they say they have done this but can't set up the account properly until my new tenant has given meter readings. I have been round there tonight and she will call them with the readings tomorrow. But the debt collectors visited the flat in person today looking for the ex-tenant. They left a letter threatening disconnection and expensive reconnection charges. I left a message on the number given and will call them tomorrow too. I have already told them that the ex-tenant has left so I am not sure why they are pursuing her there- maybe the debt collecters were instructed before that. She didn't leave a forwarding address so I gave them her dad and sister's (her guarantor) addresses. Should I be worried that either:
        a) they will cut supply, leaving my new tenant without service, or
        b) I will get lumbered with the bill.
        Hopefully it will get sorted tomorrow but I could so with some calming words tonight.
        I text the tenant telling her to sort it but she will probably ignore it and refuses to give me a forwarding address.
        Any advice?

Thanks
        Emma

Comment

It could not remotely be your fault if Utility Co. disconnects new T's service on [wrong] ground of previous T's arrears.
          You as L would not have done anything wrong, and new T's gripe/action would be against Utility Co. (not against you).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I would recommend Nick http://www.cred-x.co.uk/index.shtml
            Best Regards

PI Guy

Comment

A friend of mine used an online debt collection service, said it was fantastic to use and got really quick results. Ideal when you need the money back asap, you can find it here

Comment

Debt collectors

I'm intrigued by the option of using debt collectors but I want to hear more success stories before taking the plunge.

In particular I want to know about the wisdom of using them while the tenant is still living in the property. Can I land in hot water for harassment? Is it better to wait until the tenant has been evicted?

Please Rodent1 and anyone else with experience fire away.

Comment

I can recommend www.dfsdebt.com
                  I have used them in the past and still use them todate.
                  They come highly reccomended with a fast and effective services

Comment

VueHomes are you also known as speedy31 on the SingingPig forum? Why are you pushing dfsdebt so intently?

Comment

I am just offering them as help to other company's as it is so rare to find a decent company I was really chuffed with their service provided after being ripped off by two other companies, this is only my advice after all.

Comment

Debt collection agency sending letters

Hi

I recently had to serve notice on a problem tenant who was in rent arrears and also did not pay his utility bills. After he left the property, I spoke to the gas company and they said that its got nothing to do with me but to expect letters in the following months because it was their procedure. They also said to return all letters that were not specifically addressed to me.

Today I got a letter (addressed to "occupier") from a debt collection agency asking for details about the tenant and my contact details. Do I assist or do I take the advice from the gas co. and simply ignore it?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Well, is there anything you can actually tell the debt collector apart from the date the tenancy ended?

Comment

Not really. I do not have a forwarding address for the tenant and his phone number doesn't work any more. Apart from proving that the property was rented by him by sending the agency a copy of the AST, I cannot give further info.

Comment

You've answered your own question.

Don’t let this cost you anything. Simply write on the letter they sent to you - "tenant moved out X date". Put it back in their envelope without a stamp, re-address it and let them pay to receive it. It's what I do.

If these agencies truly want to find someone let them use more considered methods.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                                BlueMystery
                                I have a tenant who the local council have provided the deposit bond for. He has been nothing but a pain paying his rent and has always been 1 month late or 6 weeks maximum, paying at the end rather than the beginning. He was initially on a 6 months AST, which reverted to one month rollover in the absence...
                                26-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                              • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                                KTC
                                That ....
                                26-07-2017, 21:41 PM
                              • Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                Paul4321
                                Hi All,

I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'll almost certainly be following up with some professional advice but hopefully some folks here will have been in a similar situation and can offer some advice. I have done a quick search but not found anything obvious.

I already...
                                20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
                              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                KTC
                                A tenancy of more than 3 years to be executed as deed (Law of Property Act 1925).

A tenancy of less than 7 years - landlord's repairing obligations (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).

A tenancy of more than 7 years - registration with the Land Registry.

If you're going...
                                26-07-2017, 21:39 PM
                              • Reply to S21 or S8 to evict a tenant
                                MrShed
                                I dont see a benefit in Section 8 in this circumstance as the grounds are discretionary not compulsory (is my reading of the situation anyway).

Its worth issuing it anyway but then proceed down S21 when it expires?
                                26-07-2017, 21:14 PM
                              • One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                IoIo
                                Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Three people all listed as the Tenant under the agreement

Q3 – What date did current...
                                26-07-2017, 16:38 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                MrShed
                                Yes I cant agree with JK on this one, although I agree its an elegant solution in theory. A few issues with it though:
                                - Subletting
                                - The previous tenant in effect remains a tenant (in the eyes of the law)
                                - Any damage that has been caused up to now should in fact be deducted three...
                                26-07-2017, 21:08 PM
                              • Reply to Long Term Tenant - how to protect both LL and Tenant
                                Logical.Lean
                                I would make a list of the improvements / repairs which are required and get some ball park quotes for the work from trades(wo)men in the area.
                                Then I would offer a 6 month rolling tenancy, at a fair rent. I would ask the tenant to quote for a few of the simple jobs, and pay him once completed....
                                26-07-2017, 21:06 PM
                              • Reply to One tenant moving out and two remaining - who pays for the checkout/inventory?
                                Wright76
                                I can't see the departing tenant agreeing to withdraw their notice and nor should they simply to get their deposit back.

They are ALL responsible. The tenancy Is ending for all of them and they are jointly responsible for any damage.

I'm amused by your insistence for a professional...
                                26-07-2017, 20:43 PM
                              • Ending tenancy early / returning advance rent
                                purpleangel
                                Landlord has served me with S21 to leave property by 10 September. 12 month AST in England. Tenancy has been difficult last few months, major delays in repairs and I am still waiting to be refunded for a locksmith call out a month ago. I paid 12 months rent in advance due to having CCJs.

25-07-2017, 21:35 PM
                              Working...
                              X