how is rent calculated if tenant leaves before end of periodic tenancy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    how is rent calculated if tenant leaves before end of periodic tenancy

    Hi All,

    I have just successfully served a possession order on my tenant who is now finally leaving on the 12th of July. The 6 month AST ran out on the 31st May and has been periodic ever since. Rent was due on the 1st of each month. Now that she is going on the 12th do I charge her for 12 days, or the whole month. If its for 12 days do I work it out by dividing the months rent by 30 or 31.

    Thanks

    Mark

    #2
    what to charge tenant soon - hopefully - departing

    Originally posted by Mark1564 View Post
    Hi All,

    I have just successfully served a possession order on my tenant who is now finally leaving on the 12th of July. The 6 month AST ran out on the 31st May and has been periodic ever since. Rent was due on the 1st of each month. Now that she is going on the 12th do I charge her for 12 days, or the whole month. If its for 12 days do I work it out by dividing the months rent by 30 or 31.

    Thanks

    Mark
    Arguably if she leaves on the 12th day you are due 11 days rent. If you get it, and possession, be happy!

    Comment


      #3
      Yes, charge 12 days. Divide monthly rent by number of days in that month then * 12

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Smiler View Post
        Divide monthly rent by number of days in that month then * 12
        No, the correct way is to divide the annual rent by 365 and then multiply by 12 days.

        Comment


          #5
          Yes, =((Monthly Rent * 12)/365)*12) is the correct formula.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
            Yes, =((Monthly Rent * 12)/365)*12) is the correct formula.
            I cannot see how this 'formula', as set out above, adds anything at all to Mrs Mug's correct and very clear explanation.(In fact, what you have written risks confusing the issue). Please explain! What do the asterisks signify, for example? And why are there two sets of brackets?

            Do you mean that in this case, P = M x 12 /365 x D [where P is the appportioned amount of rent, M is the monthly rent and D is the number of days in the portion?]

            Then P = M x 12/365 x 12 in this case, but Mrs Mugs' version (using words) is surely much easier to follow.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

            Comment


              #7
              Yes, =((Monthly Rent * 12)/365)*12) is the correct formula.
              Except in leap year??

              Cheers!

              Lodger
              I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                I cannot see how this 'formula', as set out above, adds anything at all to Mrs Mug's correct and very clear explanation.(In fact, what you have written risks confusing the issue). Please explain! What do the asterisks signify, for example? And why are there two sets of brackets?

                Do you mean that in this case, P = M x 12 /365 x D [where P is the appportioned amount of rent, M is the monthly rent and D is the number of days in the portion?]

                Then P = M x 12/365 x 12 in this case, but Mrs Mugs' version (using words) is surely much easier to follow.
                Stop trolling me MTG, it's massively tedious.

                Asterisks signify multiplication, and are used in software such as Excel. It's fairly ubiquitous tbh, and I'm mildly shocked this is the first time you've come across this in, what is it now, 2010? It was just another way of confirming Mrs Mug's explanation. I was trying to be helpful ffs, just because you didn't understand my fairly basic formula, doesn't mean other people won't. Please, stop trolling me...be gone.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Blimey, if tedious posts were banned what would so many denizens of these fora & other sites do all day???

                  I liked MTG's post, as I usually like MTGs' posts..

                  Asterisks signify multiplication, and is used in software such as Excel
                  surely not "is" but "are" or "can be" ?? Not to mention "Asterisks can signify multiplication amongst other things (e.g. wild cards...)

                  (Yup, I know, they'll be hostages2fortune of similar errors in so many of my posts....)


                  Cheers!


                  Lodger
                  I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Given that MTG was unable to work out that the asterisk signified a multiplication, I highly doubt she's aware of what a wild card is (so for example in SQL it usually denotes "anything", should I have covered that base as well?).

                    What did MTG's post add? Apart from pointless post-boosting of course. And now, thanks to her snidey little comment, we're off topic yet again. Admitedly I could have just ignored so I suppose I'm to blame as well.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      OK, a bit of a clash of symbols!
                      The inescapable legal point is that the only valid way to apportion anything is on a yearly basis (however you depict this in symbols).
                      Use 365 days as the fraction's denominator, unless it's a leap year.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                        Given that MTG was unable to work out that the asterisk signified a multiplication, I highly doubt she's aware of what a wild card is (so for example in SQL it usually denotes "anything", should I have covered that base as well?).

                        What did MTG's post add? Apart from pointless post-boosting of course. And now, thanks to her snidey little comment, we're off topic yet again. Admitedly I could have just ignored so I suppose I'm to blame as well.
                        There was no intention on my part to do anything other than highlight the confusing nature of your post. If you dislike being 'trolled' as you call it, (although most would just call it being challenged on a point of clarity!), then please stop wasting my time telling me by private message how much you object to my contributions to this forum! There is, as you admit, no obligation to read them. Given their apparent effect on your blood pressure, perhaps you should just ignore what I contribute.

                        Perhaps that can be an end to it.
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                          There was no intention on my part to do anything other than highlight the confusing nature of your post. If you dislike being 'trolled' as you call it, (although most would just call it being challenged on a point of clarity!), then please stop wasting my time telling me by private message how much you object to my contributions to this forum! There is, of course, no obligation to read them. Given their apparent effect on your blood pressure, perhaps you should just ignore what I put.

                          Perhaps that can be an end to it.
                          Wait a second - that PM was like last week for a start. And I sent it in private for a reason. But seeing as you're insinuating that I did the cowardly act of sending you an abusive PM, then, for the benefit of other people who didn't read it, what i actually did was refute your accusation that I was gratuitously rude; say that I found you very helpful on the forums, but also condescending and rude; and called you a valuable resource. I said that I would apologise if I was "gratuitously rude", but that I genuinely didn't think I was.

                          So get your facts straight before you refer to a PRIVATE message.

                          Nothing confusing about my original post. It simply added to something someone else said.

                          (PS - was it your intention to admit that you're trolling me because I sent you a PM?)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                            Wait a second - that PM was like last week for a start. And I sent it in private for a reason. But seeing as you're insinuating that I did the cowardly act of sending you an abusive PM, what i actually did was refute your accusation that I was gratuitously rude; say that I found you very helpful on the forums, but also condescending and rude; and called you a valuable resource. I said that I would apologise if I was "gratuitously rude", but that I genuinely didn't think I was.

                            So get your facts straight before you refer to a PRIVATE message.

                            Nothing confusing about my original post. It simply added to something someone else said.

                            You seem very mixed up, as well as rude (your use of 'for ****'s sake' on the forum as well as in your pm is hardly appropriate, now is it?) However, as I said in my response, you are welcome to your opinions about me; because I have no sense of who you are, I am not affected by what you think. I would though prefer you not to tell me them by private message. For a number of reasons, it achieves nothing, really. I think we must simply agree to differ.
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                              You seem very mixed up, as well as rude (your use of 'for ****'s sake' on the forum as well as in your pm is hardly appropriate, now is it?) However, as I said in my response, you are welcome to your opinions about me; because I have no sense of who you are, I am not affected by what you think. I would though prefer you not to tell me them by private message. For a number of reasons, it achieves nothing, really. I think we must simply agree to differ.
                              It wasn't like I was being abusive in the PM though (despite your best efforts to make it appear as though I was). Meh, you're a piece of work tbh. Don't worry, you'll not be getting any further PM's (though you could have communicated this wish in PRIVATE (maybe you should look it up as you obviously don't understand the definition of this word). Now, haven't you got another thread to ruin with a pointless comment about grammar, someone getting a saying slightly wrong, or your not being able to understand fairly basic concepts which everyone else seems to understand?

                              Sigh, if only you cut that nonsense out and stick to the helpful comments which everyone can see you have in you. Oh well, if only there was world peace! Sadly, there'll always be keyboard warriors on message forums.

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by doobrey
                                My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

                                If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
                                19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by HMOmike
                                I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                                19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                              • Reply to Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
                                19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                              • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by KTC
                                It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
                                19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
                              • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by HMOmike
                                Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
                                19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by jpkeates
                                The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

                                As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                                19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                              • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                                18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                              • Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by jpkeates
                                If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                                That bit is simple.

                                The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                                19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                The tenant agreement states that the Landlord should hold onto the deposit until the dispute is resolved but, the agent is disputing this, claiming that they are the ones to hold onto the deposit as part of their Full Management Service...
                                19-05-2022, 15:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X