Who's responsible for TV aerial (missing or not on Inventory)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad S
    replied
    Originally posted by den View Post
    Who is responsible for the ariel in a rented property, landlord or tenant.
    That depends on whether the tenancy agreement mentions the aerial. It's not one of those thing which the landlord is bound to provide or to maintain by law.

Leave a comment:

• countryguy
    replied
    I believe the LL is responsible for the aerial

Leave a comment:

• den
    replied
    ariels

Who is responsible for the ariel in a rented property, landlord or tenant.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    A Ford Anglia.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by billericayboy View Post
    ... i can get Anglia TV on a Good day...
    That's on a good day? ...And on a bad day?

Leave a comment:

• billericayboy
    replied
    There is probably only one TV tramsmitter in your area so that is where all TV aerials should point. the transmitters send out both Analouge & Digital signals.

A normal problem is the connections on the wires in the house are poor and you get signal loss. ie, where wall wire connects to wall box and each end of your aerial fly lead that connects your TV to the wall socket.

Try an indoor amplified aerial or get a TV Aerial man in after telling LL of the problem. How much is it worth for you to be able to watch TV, or get a Freesat dish and decoder from sky / Maplin.

The 20 year old aerial in my rental property receives perfect digital so the aerial need not nessesarily be changed but it is on top of a hill with probably line of sight to the Crystal Palace transmitter 40 miles away (SW) !! and i can get Anglia TV on a Good day but their transmitter is 80miles north but neds to turn the aerial to face north.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    MODERATOR: Please merge with OP's previous thread
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=29562

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    Tenant's responsibility normally under the circumstances

Leave a comment:

• NeedAdvice
    replied
    Who's responsible for TV aerial (not on Inventory)?

Hi Guys

Have moved to an area where digital tv in operation.

My tvs are digital compatible but seems that they don't work and numerous people have pointed out that the arial has been repointed to work with digital.

The last tenants also confirm that they never used the tv as they cldn't get a reception.

Who is now responsible for pointing the arial towards digital - should I now have to pay for this and what is involved?

Or, should it be part of normal service when you move in as a tenant?

I have always moved in to properties and assumed that - as I have to pay a TV licence -that the landlord will have made that service available.

Has this now changed with the digital age?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by trill View Post
    Note to self. Don't get upset over issues that don't concern me.
    But everything in life is connected. At a certain level, it is naive to assume there are things which 'do not concern you'.

Besides which, your comments about keeping tenants happy make perfect sense (a) from an ethical/moral standpoint and (b) from an economic/pragmatic standpoint, and I don't think anyone disagrees with you. I certainly do not!

Cheer up. All we have done is separate out the legal, as opposed to the business constraints on the provision of TV reception equipment/cable by LLs in private rental properties. We are not trying to thrash out a new Geneva Convention or anything.

Leave a comment:

• trill
    replied
    Originally posted by trill View Post
    So what you're implying is, supply basic human needs only.

If you have a high turnover of tenants, that's their problem. Whoops, hang on. If I'm a LL and there's a void month or two between new tenancies, I've lost £750 or £1500. How much was that aerial? £200? Oh dear, another tenant moves out after his 6 month tenancy too and I've gotta find another tenant. Another void period? Maybe I should have kept that tenant, you never know, they may have paid me £43,200 for a 5 year rent?
    Note to self. Don't get upset over issues that don't concern me.

Leave a comment:

• trill
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    What's "essential" is merely what s.11 of LTA 1985 defines as such. To your chagrin, there's :
    a. no basic human right to TV; nor
    b. any obligation in s.11 that L must provide it!
    So what you're implying is, supply basic human needs only.

If you have a high turnover of tenants, that's their problem. Whoops, hang on. If I'm a LL and there's a void month or two between new tenancies, I've lost £750 or £1500. How much was that aerial? £200? Well, I've asserted my authority, so that's what matters! Keep the b******* down. Not that I'm trying to be controversial! Oh dear, another tenant moves out after his 6 month tenancy too and I've gotta find another tenant. Another void period? Maybe I should have kept that tenant, you never know, they may have paid me £43,200 for a 5 year rent?

Leave a comment:

• trill
    replied
    Much to my chagrin (or disappointment in plainspeak) two years ago the perfect rental I had lived in for five years was sold by the landlord. I was happy paying over the market rent as it was nicer than the average property. At a rent of £700 pcm, rising to £750 in the last two years, I paid rent of £43,200 over the five years. I also repainted it internally as it needed a fresh lick of paint due to wear and tear by previous tenants and we spent a lot of time and effort gardening and fixing odds and ends that needed doing.

Luckily the house had a TV aerial. Had it not, I would have thought it a reasonable investment by a LL to put up an aerial for, say, £200, to keep a tenant happy and as the lifespan of a half decent aerial is a minimum of 10 -15 years, the investment is spread over many years.

Surely common sense must prevail. If there was no aerial and the LL refused permission to have one erected, then I would have moved on in 6 months.

Sure, quote, s.11 LTA 1985 and the legal situation that this or that does not have to be provided. But by providing only the barest minimum that statute requires, this would have been an example of a bad business choice.

To the LL, it's a business. To the T, it's a home.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    What's "essential" is merely what s.11 of LTA 1985 defines as such. To your chagrin, there's :
    a. no basic human right to TV; nor
    b. any obligation in s.11 that L must provide it!

Leave a comment:

• trill
    replied
    Actually, I do not think that TV reception is an essential, just an optional extra.

However, if there is a TV point in the lounge, one would assume that you can plug in a TV and get a picture. From a tenant point of view, having the expense of installing a TV aerial, or even a satellite dish and decoder box, for a tenancy that may turn out to be only 6 months, is a big worry. Surely the rent can cover the cost of the pound or two per month over the life of an aerial to include this in a rental?

Perhaps there should be a quality checklist of things to check when taking a rental: ask for a demonstration of a TV working, the hot water system, central heating efficiency, noise transferrence from adjoining flats, etc. etc. I'd be interested in what the experience of other tenants have warned them to look out for in future rentals.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X