Who's responsible for TV aerial (missing or not on Inventory)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who installed the aerial? Was it on an Inventory which L prepared prior to your taking-up the current Tenancy?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

The aerial had been installed before he bought the property (house). So it is the landlords responsibility.

I cannot confirm at present if this is written in the inventory.

Comment

yes its pointing in the right direction as I checked this with other aerials next door to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wriggley View Post
          The aerial had been installed before he bought the property (house). So it is the landlords responsibility.
          Not necessarily- depends on Inventory.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Reasonable alterations for television aerial

Hi all

Quick question about the provision of television. Our house, maybe the only in the UK, has no means of getting a TV signal. We've tried an indoor aerial, Virgin media doesn't reach, and there's no outdoor aerial attached.

We asked our LL if we could have a sky dish installed, which she declined. Maybe that's reasonable - they can appear ugly. However, she's not even going to let us have a normal aerial for tv reception put on. Her reason is that she doesn't want damage done to the property. She's convinced that damage on the outside wall (from previous tenants) was as a result of them having a cable installed, and there's no convincing her otherwise (it is quite obviously not because of attempted cable drilling).

We would pay for it ourselves and get it professionally done, but she won't budge. Is there any provision in the law for reasonable alterations to a property? Or else, how can we convince her? A deposit has been mentioned, but dammit we've paid a bloody big deposit already! Any thoughts (esp from LLs themselves) would be greatly appreciated. Cheers everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by wewanttv View Post
              Hi all

Quick question about the provision of television. Our house, maybe the only in the UK, has no means of getting a TV signal. We've tried an indoor aerial, Virgin media doesn't reach, and there's no outdoor aerial attached.

We asked our LL if we could have a sky dish installed, which she declined. Maybe that's reasonable - they can appear ugly. However, she's not even going to let us have a normal aerial for tv reception put on. Her reason is that she doesn't want damage done to the property. She's convinced that damage on the outside wall (from previous tenants) was as a result of them having a cable installed, and there's no convincing her otherwise (it is quite obviously not because of attempted cable drilling).

We would pay for it ourselves and get it professionally done, but she won't budge. Is there any provision in the law for reasonable alterations to a property? Or else, how can we convince her? A deposit has been mentioned, but dammit we've paid a bloody big deposit already! Any thoughts (esp from LLs themselves) would be greatly appreciated. Cheers everyone!
              What exactly does the tenancy agreement say on the subject?

Comment

T.V. ariel - whose responsibility?

Hi, a young friend of mine has just rented a property but she cannot get any t.v.reception (could be faulty ariel?) In this day and age it is very inconvenient not to be able to watch any t.v.!! (She has her own television which is sitting unusable in the corner of the lounge!). Landlord is saying that he will arrange to have a virgin box or freeview installed and says he will contribute!! However, I think that when you are renting an (expensive) property, that the facility should be in place to watch a normal, 5 channel t.v.
                Grateful for advice/opinions.

Many thanks
                Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by rachel230 View Post
                  Hi, a young friend of mine has just rented a property but she cannot get any t.v.reception (could be faulty ariel?) In this day and age it is very inconvenient not to be able to watch any t.v.!! (She has her own television which is sitting unusable in the corner of the lounge!). Landlord is saying that he will arrange to have a virgin box or freeview installed and says he will contribute!! However, I think that when you are renting an (expensive) property, that the facility should be in place to watch a normal, 5 channel t.v.
                  Grateful for advice/opinions.

Many thanks
                  Rachel
                  Unless LL misrepresented the situation vis a vis TV reception when your friend viewed the property, he is under no obligation to provide it, however cheap or expensive the property is. It is reasonable of him to offer to help with the freeview installation and in her place, I would say yes please, and be thankful!
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Right - let's get realistic. In the next year or two, 5 channel TV as you describe it will cease. This is the old UHF "anologue" system which we have used since BBC2 started in the 60's. Your friend's landlord, by offering to assist with the introduction of digital T.V. is acting correctly. Infact, all he needs to do is to install an ordinary TV aerial! This will provide the old analogue signal to your young friend's TV and is all your landlord needs to do. When the old signal ends, you will then need a digital converter which is then used to connect the aerial to the T.V. These cost about £25 and extract dozens of new channels which (unless you have already acquired a box or used satellite telly) you never new existed.

P.P.
                    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

When I let a flat where the communal aerial had long ago ceased to function, I provided a freesat box - which gave the usual "terrestrial" channels and loads more. Freeview will give the same. I would grab it if I were her, it will give her many more channels than the aerial would!
                      Mrs Jones
                      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Less-serious posts have been moved to a new Take A Break thread: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=20465.

Comment

Communal TV aerial failed; no 'Sky' reception; mst L fix?

ok, so I've now moved out and it doesn't really matter to me, howver the person who is now in the flat that I vacated a few weeks back is a friend of mine. I did tell them that while the flat is very nice, the letting agents were worse than useless and I would avoid them if I could.

anyway...the flat is in a block who share a communal sky dish. When I was there, the signal was just about good enough to watch sky, as long as it didn't rain.

however, he now tells me that it has failed completely and when he spoke to the letting agency, they said that the sky was only offered as a bonus and they are under no obligation to fix it as it doesn't form an integral part of the flat which he is renting. it's in the advert for the flat (white goods, secure parking, sky tv etc).

I suspect that because it's communal, the repair cost will be considerable and that's why they are trying to avoid it. what do you think?

Comment

Providing Aerial

Does a Landlord have to provide an aerial for the tenant.
                            My feelings are "No" as the Landlord could not provide every possible means eg Sky, Cable etc.
                            Thoughts please.

Comment

Not unless there is written agreement (e.g. AST) between LL and T to provide it. For example, when letting a shared house, a LL may provide broadband to all T's rooms, and this will be agreed before tenancy starts.
                              The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey0767 View Post
                                Does a Landlord have to provide an aerial for the tenant.
                                My feelings are "No" as the Landlord could not provide every possible means eg Sky, Cable etc.
                                I agree with tom999 but I think it's a pretty cheapskate landlord who doesn't provide a conventional terrestrial TV aerial... the sky/cable argument is irrelevant as those are essentially paid-for 'add-on' services. A TV aerial is erected once, has no run-on costs, and will then benefit all tenants who live at the property

Was your tenant genuinely aware that there was no aerial? Typically your question gets asked here when an inexperienced tenant has assumed there would be an aerial when s(he) moves in, and then finds out after the event that actually no, there isn't.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X