Who's responsible for TV aerial (missing or not on Inventory)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I moved into my little flat a couple of years ago I discovered the TV aerial did not work. Since getting the freeholder to do anything is a major exercise I just had Freesat installed (£175 incl. dish and sky box). Brilliant! Not sure this would work for multiple flats tho.
    Mrs Jones
    I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

TV Aerial

Hiya

A quickie to ask the following.
      T has informed me that there is something wrong with the external aerial - i.e there is no picture coming through to the TV.

To avoid any unnecessary costs, can I suggest that they buy themselves an internal aerial and plug it into the back of the TV? There is no mention of the aerial in the AST and I cannot believe that I need to get this sorted as a LL.

Thanks
      VjP

Comment

As far as im aware this is not a worry of the landlord, unless it was specifically mentioned in the letting particulars or a representation was made that it was in good working order.
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
          unless it was specifically mentioned in the letting particulars or a representation was made that it was in good working order.
          Hi

No, no representation was made about its working order.

Thanks

Comment

That's daft, if it was working before it needs to be fixed. Why do you want to go upsetting your tenant over such a little thing?
            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
              That's daft, if it was working before it needs to be fixed. Why do you want to go upsetting your tenant over such a little thing?
              I agree with this completely, especially when the cost of getting it fixed probably equates to two or three days rental. But surely it partly depends on the causation of the problem.
              [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

It can only be a broken wire or bad connection, there's nowt else to go wrong with them!

Comment

TV Aerial

Thank you both for your input - I do agree with what you are both saying, but......
                  Having spoken to T, they have informed me that the TV is not working at all. They went on to explain that this happened a couple of nights ago.
                  What is my position on this matter please?

Comment

Is the TV itself busted? Did you supply it?

If you did, then repair/replace it.
                    If you didn't, it's the tenant's problem.

Comment

I'm not sure if the TV is busted, but I did not supply it.
                      Going back to what MrJohnnyB said earlier with regards to the 'causation of the problem'. The true point which I am seeking a second opinion on (I suppose) is just because the house is rented it does not mean that the T can act recklessly. (I know, I know - this naive approach will only lead to tears - but I figured I would simply define the scope of who is responsible for what......)
                      Btw, apologies for the delay in ascertaining what has actually happened but the T prefers to communicate via text and not speak on the phone....

Comment

Whay do you think/say the tenant has acted recklessly?

For what it's worth, I would take the view that a TV aerial/satellite dish is part of the fixtures and fittings, evn in an unfurnished property, and therefore the LL's property (unless T actually supplies their own). It should be recorded on the inventory and is thus the LL's responsibility to keep in good repair. You cannot advertise and let out a property as having TV reception then refuse to ensure the aerial works.

Some LLs get out of this by writing a clause into the TA to exclude aerials from their responsibility, but that always seems a bit peevish and mean-spirited to me - a sure-fire way to get your tenants' backs up and lose goodwill.

If it's the TV, then I agree with jta. Obvious way to tell - plug in a portable which you know works and see what happens!
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

TV aerial not serving digital TV set

I have a tenant in one of the properties that I manage who has just bought a new Digital TV and cannot get either analogue or digital I suspect she needs a new TV Ariel - is there any legal reason that the landlord has to supply a Digital Ariel as I suspect this may be a question that we get lots of questions about in the near future as our area is going Digital shortly. Thanks for information. Vanessa

Comment

If the aerial is not providing an analogue signal, then this suggests that it is faulty and is probably the landlord's responsibility to repair. A working aerial which supplies an analogue signal should also provide a digital one. This is my common sense answer - there may be ones more accurately based on legal principles which I expect that other posters will contribute in due course.

P.P.
                            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

When you rent a property, it is normal to assume that all fixtures and fittings in the property are in working order, unless the landlord advises you otherwise at the time. It is a fair asumption that your rent covers all these fittings and fixtures thus if one is not working, you are not getting the correct return on the rent you have agreed to pay. The landlord is this liable to repair it - but not upgrade it.

P.P.
                              Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

TV Aerial - can they do this?

Hi

I sent an email stating:

"It looks like the storm has knocked out the TV reception as it was working fine on Saturday evening. I can see no cause as to why the reception has gone as the aerial and wires look intact.

I would be most grateful if someone could have a look at this for me?"

I have received the below email from my managing agent and would like to know if they can recharge this to me if they do not find a problem?

"With regard to the aerial, we will get a contractor to take a look at it. If however its not the aerial that’s the problem the invoice will be rechargeable to you."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X