Who's responsible for TV aerial (missing or not on Inventory)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's responsible for TV aerial (missing or not on Inventory)?

Just a quick question -

if a tenant moves into a property and there is a TV point in the living room which later proves not to work, is it the landlords responsibility to ensure it works?

Could the landlord refuse to pay for a new one? I am sure this does not come under the scope of the L&T act or obligations to keep property in working order, however is it covered by any legislation?

(other than good grace - if it were me I would happily pay the money for a new aerial as a happy tenant is possibly a longer term tenant!)
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Was it noted on the inventory, and was it tested?

If it was tested and it wasnt working or just not working and noted on the inventory, then the tenant knew of its condition before moving in to the property and accpeted its condition.

If it wasn't tested, then the tenant would have been under the assumption that it was working (as it wasnt pointed out as otherwise) and it would need to be recitified.

You could approach the tenant and offer to go halves on the cost?

If they refuse, then if you employ a contractor to recitify the situation, you could ask their professional opnion if the item didnt work due to age, condition or tampering. You could then base your decision on to full or part payment.

Keep us updated.

Comment

If I moved into a property and found out there was no access to the TV there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. I'd have to get the emergency aerial man out *shudder*. I wouldn't expec the LL to deal with it though unless of course it was in the inventory but then again who brings a telly to an inventory check...

Comment

I have a couple of properties wth wall mounted aerial sockets which don't work. They are connected to a loft mounted VHF aerial via an appropriate pre-amplifier, so if a tenant really insists, I suppose I could get this working! Of course, his telly won't work, but he may pick up the odd digitally encoded mobile telephone conversation! The property is very close to the local TV transmitter thus a set top aeriel is adequate. When we go digital, I have not decided what, if anything, to do.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

I think most people these days, go for cable or sky. I don't know much people who use normal tv ariels or any in fact.

Comment

Most people?? That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation! I don't. I'm just getting a digibox for my birthday...

Comment

Well I say most people. Out of the 10 properties we have only 1 doesn't have sky or cable then.

Comment

I don't think there's any obligation on a LL to supply an aeriel and as mentioned above many people opt for a cabled network or sky these days.

we had a similar situation with a LL recently who blatantly refused to provide an aeriel OR a telephone line. His perogative of course but it would make a T happier if these things were provided.
                Ambition is Critical

I don't profess to be a knowledge in all areas, my advice is based on life experience.

Comment

TV aerial conundrum

My new tenant has had a satellite dish installed - not a huge problem in itself (yet!?), but the installer has taken it upon his/herself to disconnect the cable from my TV aerial (thereby rendering the aerial useless) and connect it to the satellite dish...
                  I've pointed out that it will be the tenant's responsibility to have this put right, but I'm not sure how I can enforce this! I know it'd cost a few quid to put right. Should I insist it is fixed now? Or at the end of the tenancy?
                  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comment

Hi Wickerman, thanks for your reply. It does not seem to be Sky, but Polish TV they seek to receive - happy days. Should I try to get the name of the charlatan Polish installer person and attempt to contact them?

I think you're right about the coax cable - apparently they are different types. So they've trashed my lovely aerial for nothing. Tenant did mention it's "not working"...

Comment

Satellite aerial cable has an impedance of 60 ohms I think, whereas normal aerial feeder is 75 ohms. This will only become significant in situations of very low signal. The tenant's aerial installers should be required to rectify the problem forthwith through the tenant.!

P.P.
                      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

TV Aerial query

Hi! This is my first thread and I apologise if it is in the wrong place.

We have been renting our first floor flat (above a shop not shared) for just over a year.
                        The last 6 months we have had a rolling contract. I have recently noticed that the aerial has fallen off the chimney and is not situated on the roof. Which makes a lot of noise as it moves in the wind, no doubt it may be causing damage to the roof.

I phoned up the letting agent who told me that it is my responsibility. Having searched the web and this site there seems to be a mixed opinion. Some say it’s the landlord’s and some the tenant. However most of the threads I have read relate to poor signal and upgrading of the aerial rather than the aerial falling off. There is no mention of the aerial in either the Tenancy agreement or the inventory. Although I believe I read that under the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 that anything relating to health and safety the landlord has to fix (I forgot to reference where I read this). As the aerial is on the roof and appear to be hanging possible from the wire does this fall under such instance.

Thank you in advance

Comment

My view is that the aerial belongs to the landlord. If the aerial has fallen off it could cause damage to the landlord's property/building and thus it is in their interest and I believe their obligation to fix it in this instance as opposed to you complaining about the signal.

You picked a good day to talk about aerials to me because I am in the process of sorting out an aerial problem in a block of 8 flats and I am not looking forward to finding out it is the actual aerial on the top of the chimney of a rather high building. However, as I supply it I fix it, and in the interest of tenant relations. So that's my view (and I can't stand the earache is another view as a tenant can't watch Big Brother!).

Comment

Originally posted by discontented View Post
                            Hi! This is my first thread and I apologise if it is in the wrong place.

We have been renting our first floor flat (above a shop not shared) for just over a year.
                            The last 6 months we have had a rolling contract. I have recently noticed that the aerial has fallen off the chimney and is not situated on the roof. Which makes a lot of noise as it moves in the wind, no doubt it may be causing damage to the roof.

I phoned up the letting agent who told me that it is my responsibility. Having searched the web and this site there seems to be a mixed opinion. Some say it’s the landlord’s and some the tenant. However most of the threads I have read relate to poor signal and upgrading of the aerial rather than the aerial falling off. There is no mention of the aerial in either the Tenancy agreement or the inventory. Although I believe I read that under the Landlord and Tenant (Covenants) Act 1995 that anything relating to health and safety the landlord has to fix (I forgot to reference where I read this). As the aerial is on the roof and appear to be hanging possible from the wire does this fall under such instance.

Thank you in advance
                            It's a bit of a grey area (like the TV reception presumably!).

Generally speaking landlords are responsible for fixed installations, although some tenancy agreements make the tenant responsible for TV aeriels. I suspect that if this aeriel does not feature in the inventory, the LL will try to wriggle out of paying for the repair. Technically I suppose you could have it removed, although your TV wouldn't pick up then.

I suggest you write to LL informing him that it is his duty to have the aeriel re-fixed as it is a potential hazard as it is at present. Tell him that unless he does so, you will instruct a technician and deduct the cost from your rent.

Then do it.

At least if it falls on someone before it's mended, he cannot say you did not tell him it was dangerous.
                            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                              It's a bit of a grey area (like the TV reception presumably!).

Generally speaking landlords are responsible for fixed installations, although some tenancy agreements make the tenant responsible for TV aeriels. I suspect that if this aeriel does not feature in the inventory, the LL will try to wriggle out of paying for the repair.
                              My tenancy makes no mention of aerials other than the tenant can't install one.

My inventory will make a note of the aerial point if there is an aerial (which of course there is!) but no mention of the aerial on the roof!

Call me slack!

However, I don't think a landlord could expect a tenant to repair the aerial on the roof as that is surely a fixture if it was there when the tenant moved in whether it worked or not.

You can hardly call it tenant abuse or neglect etc if it's the roof aerial that has fallen off whereas you could argue that if the aerial cable (whether on the inventory or not) is functional if it receives normal TV channels at least rather than other channels or if no mention of any aerial cable you could argue there wasn't one on the inventory.

But the actual aerial, surely it has to be the landlord's responsibility if it has fallen off as typically they are on the roof?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X