signed and dated tenancy agreement but have not recieved deposit and 1st month rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signed and dated tenancy agreement but have not recieved deposit and 1st month rent

I signed and dated tenancy agreement and gave the potential tenant a copy but have not recieved the deposit and 1st month rent yet. Tenancy to start 01/07/10.
    I am a novice landlord so need advice. Should I have waited to recieve the money or is this okay.
    By the way I have not given the keys yet until I get the moneys, at least I know something! but will giving him the tenancy agreement without him paying anything yet potentially have any implications?
    Your advice is much appreciated.

Hi,

Not sure how the benefit system works in England, however lets assume similar principle.Please check though.Alarm bells are ringing. I suspect this person is using the agreement to obtain moneys, ie. benefits and possibly redirecting the mail.I don't know how money laundering works and whether they would need an address for that.Speak to Citizens Advice,legal helpline if you have one and your local council.The council will be limited to what they can tell you due to Data Protection, however if it was your principal hom and now the council tax is tranferring into their name there will be some record somewhere with the council of the tenant.Hope this helps. I suspect fraud basically, but i may be wrong.

Good luck

Comment

Why did you sign an agreement if they haven’t paid a deposit?

I usually take a small sum as a deposit to retain the property and give a receipt stating that this money is non-refundable if they dont complete the AST and will be deducted from the 1st months’ rent or from the actual deposit.

I only sign up the tenancy agreement when they have the deposit and the rent in hand.

What happens on the 1st when he doesn’t show? You have lost maybe 3 weeks rental, assuming you can let after 3 weeks.

I had one chap turn up with his missus, they loved the house and would take it, but he needed to speak to his dad about lending him £100 to secure the house! If he can’t get his hands on £100 what hope has he got with the rest of the deposit and the rent paid in advance. Told him to go speak to his dad but be back quick as I had others people coming to view , never saw him again. Next person to turn up liked it – secured it with £200 cash.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
        by MdeB
        Every place I have rented (5 places up to age 29) were furnished; when I moved I needed a couple of suit cases.

Every place I have let has been unfurnished, because it is less hassle for me and there is the demand for unfurnished properties....
        18-09-2020, 20:05 PM
      • Part furnished
        by Chester Perry
        Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
        18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
      • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
        by doobrey
        Agree.

Good luck. Sounds like an impossible job to me, unfortunately....
        18-09-2020, 20:04 PM
      • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
        by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
        Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
        18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
      • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by Jon66
        This is poor behaviour by you as landlord. Letting yourselves in to paint a wall without asking is very out of order, and the second time being late by 25 minutes is unacceptable, and then you let yourselves in without contacting the tenant. Very unprofessional. There is a pattern emerging of just...
        18-09-2020, 20:03 PM
      • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by SamCartman
        We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
        We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
        18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
      • Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
        by MdeB
        It is their property because you have leased it to them.

I too would have been annoyed if you had entered my property without my permission....
        18-09-2020, 19:50 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by MdeB
        My experience:
        1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
        2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
        18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
      • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
        by fmST1
        When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
        I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
        11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
      • Reply to Part furnished
        by jpucng62
        So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
        18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
      Working...
      X