Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central heating

Hi Everyone,

I have central heating in the rented property at the moment.It is an old Baxi system, still works but hard now to get parts if it fails.Pilot light went out once during our last severe winter,however rekindled without difficulty.The girl asked for the boiler to be changed,I looked into the Energy trust, found that they may be eligible for a new central heating system based on low income and baby.Since she found out £4,000, may be involved, she decided, no thankyou ,she would keep "her grant" for her council house when she gets it, application for which currently suspended.
    My question is: If the central heating fails, am i obliged to replace with another central heating system, or as there is an electric fire downstairs and i would give her two heaters for the bedrooms,would this suffice,or is it a contractual matter of like for like where at all possible?

Many thanks,

A.

I would say you have to provide central heating to the standard she had.

A new boiler is about £!500 -2000 fitted. Might as well do it now while the weather is warm or tenant will cause you loads of grief in the winter when it fails. I am just about to do an ancient Italian boiler my plumber has been nursing through last winter for the same reason as you state - no availability of spare parts. I'm fitting Glow Worm.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

L's duty under s.11 of LTA 1987 relates to whatever heating system is in place. L has to keep it in working condition and repair it as necessary.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Get rid of her, she can then use "her" grant to heat her tent that she can put up in the local park.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thankyou for responding.I have been taking care of the central heating, the CP12 is in place.My problem really is being able to afford to change the central heating on my own merit.Ytrying to find new job, my home on the market and living with parents.I simply don't have £1500-2000 at this moment in time.I just trying to work out whether I can give an alternative, the electric fire was already in place before they moved in and they themselves said they had bought a heater in winter before telling me about the central heating.This seems more about getting a combi boiler than anything but the tenant is not prepared to let me do the work, she has refused twice.The legalhelpline suggested leaving it until she moves out.Also the EPC i was told I couldn't do now they have moved in however I now find several people tellingme that i can do this anytime.I'm confused.
          Please help,

Thanks,

Angela
          PS.TheSaint-I really appreciate your wit,lol!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            L's duty under s.11 of LTA 1987 relates to whatever heating system is in place. L has to keep it in working condition and repair it as necessary.
            You mean LTA 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by Disillusioned View Post
              I just trying to work out whether I can give an alternative, the electric fire was already in place before they moved in and they themselves said they had bought a heater in winter before telling me about the central heating.
              As Jeffrey says, you have to keep the current system in repair. That means replacing the current boiler with a similar type of boiler if it fails.

This seems more about getting a combi boiler than anything but the tenant is not prepared to let me do the work, she has refused twice.
              Refused what twice?

If T is refusing to allow you access to repair or replace the boiler, then make sure you make the access requests in writing, keep a copy of the letter, and get proof of posting. I would make at least three written attempts. Then, in the event that T subsequently alleged disrepair and tried to claim compensation for it, you would have good evidence to show that you had made every effort to fulfill your obligations.

Also the EPC i was told I couldn't do now they have moved in however I now find several people tellingme that i can do this anytime.
              You can get the EPC done anytime, though obviously you'd need T's consent for access.

Comment

Hi,

Thankyou all for your contributions.Westminster, may i add,I have kept a written record and sent a Schedule of Works to them.The girl has twice refused to have the central heating system changed after asking for the boiler to be changed in December 2009.I have put this to her in writing.She texted after querying whther I was trying to use "her grant", and this was the second time she refused when i asked if she had changed her mind.I then followed that up by letter stating that she had twice refused.

Many Thanks,

Angela

Comment

Originally posted by Disillusioned View Post
                  I have kept a written record and sent a Schedule of Works to them. The girl has twice refused to have the central heating system changed after asking for the boiler to be changed in December 2009. I have put this to her in writing. She texted after querying whther I was trying to use "her grant", and this was the second time she refused when i asked if she had changed her mind. I then followed that up by letter stating that she had twice refused.
                  Good stuff, so long as you are keeping copy letters and getting proof of posting. It sounds like she may be refusing because she fears 'her grant' will be 'used up' somehow - but that's her problem, not yours.

Comment

Thanks Westminster

Comment

It appears to me that she is more in charge of your letting than you are. Get the boiler serviced. In one of my houses the boiler light kept going out, the engineer fitted a new module £250 and now its perfect. You cannot afford to let winter arrive and the boiler pack up completely, which is what mine did. Tenants do have rights.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                        You mean LTA 1985.
                        Yes-sorry.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X