Nightmare tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare tenants

I am a landlord and having issues with my tenants.

On Monday my tenants reported that when they showered on Monday, water was dripping into the lounge area downstairs. My husband and I went round to investigate Monday evening, and discovered the bathroom was thick with black mould, the sealant had completely come away in places around the bath, and grouting on the tiles was coming away due to the mould.

The lino on the bathroom floor was damaged and bubbled due to water splashing all over it.

Downstairs there was plaster coming of the walls, the ceiling was chipping and bubbled as was the wall, and was slowly going black with mould. This indicates to me that the problem had been there for sometime. We asked them to stop using the shower and just use the bath for the meantime.

The rest of the house was also filthy and there are small areas of damage elsewhere. Such as letter box missing, lounge carpet beyone filthy etc

My tenants are saying that none of this is their fault, but I feel that this should have been reported much much sooner.

As such I have asked my letting agent to serve them with Section 21 notice today (tenants have been there nearly 3 years). However I want to know if I can stop them using the shower in the 2 month period? I have said they can use the bath. If I let them use the shower the problem will keep getting worse.

I am shocked that my letting agent also didn't pick up on the problem.

They cant use the shower if you remove it.........

Comment

yes but i'm worried that because it was there when they moved in it forms part of the tenancy agreement?

However they can use the bath so I have not denied them bathing facilities...

I don't want to do anthing that looks like harrassment, but I'm not prepared to be taken for a mug!

Comment

In my view the best way is to,

1) Serve the S21.
        2) Check what state the inventory says the bathroom is(See if you can get it from their deposit).
        3) Check whether the ventalation is correct for the location, and if not fix, as may me a long term issue.
        4) Write to them saying you are dealing with the issue and not to use the shower, and get quotes and views of the plummer on the cause of the problem, when they are in and with written agreement, this will hopefully delay it until they move out and then see if you can get any money from the deposit. ( The trouble is are you likely to get another T when the bathroom is in such a state ).
        5) Do inspections a little more frequenty.

So I guess I would wait and see what the plummer says.

Basicily it comes down to negelate by the T, or was the bathroom fit for purpose.

You can't be done for breach of quite enjoyment or harressment, if you do everything in writting(to T address) or phone(i.e. not in person). And also be carefull what you say in the letter(Just stick to the facts).
        Disclaimer: What I say is either right or wrong. It may be advisable to check what I say with a solicitor. If he says I am right then I am right, unless he is wrong in which case I am wrong; but if he says I am wrong then I am wrong, unless he is wrong in which case I am right

Comment

thanks for this.

We are using a letting agent, who is little short of useless. i asked for a copy of the last 2 inspection reports, but looking at them, they are not worth the paper they are written on.

The bathroom was pretty much perfect before they moved in, as it used to be mine and hubby's home. It was like a show home, which makes it even more heartbreaking the state it is in now.

I really don't want to pay a plumber to go round and state the obvious. Should my letting agent be doing more?

Comment

Yes your letting agent should be doing more but you may have to take some blame on yourself. Why had you not seen the inspection reports before? Why did tenant suddenly decide to contact you and not agent - or did they get nothing from the agent?

I would argue that even with an agent - over such a long let I might go and take a look at the property myself. If the agent is a member of ARLA or NAEA then complain.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Flashjordan View Post
              I am a landlord and having issues with my tenants.

On Monday my tenants reported that when they showered on Monday, water was dripping into the lounge area downstairs. My husband and I went round to investigate Monday evening, and discovered the bathroom was thick with black mould, the sealant had completely come away in places around the bath, and grouting on the tiles was coming away due to the mould.
              Whatever happens to the tenants, protect your own interests by getting the bath re-sealed. Otherwise you could find the ceiling coming down in the room below.

If you instructed agents to get this done, would they do it?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by jpucng62
                Much as I have sympathy for your clients and would like to support your work, I like jpkeates, would be unlikely to accept this kind of tenant. There is just too much risk for a private LL.

I did once rent a property to a similar organisation and the problem was not the tenant but her boyfriend...
                18-09-2020, 14:49 PM
              • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
              • Reply to Part furnished
                by jpucng62
                Hope you held on to the deposit
                18-09-2020, 14:45 PM
              • Part furnished
                by Chester Perry
                Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                by Chester Perry
                I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
                18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
              • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                by jpkeates
                A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
                The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about Ā£350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
                18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
              • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                by Bumblebee3000
                We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
                17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
                by theartfullodger
                Trust you've reported the thefts to police
                18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
                by Bumblebee3000
                This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
                18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
              • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                by jpkeates
                The process seems to have changed recently.
                The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                But you do that with only access to what the...
                18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
              Working...
              X