rent and repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rent and repairs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi

please could some one offer me some advice, my brother signed a 6month AST (unfurnished) in march paying £700 deposit and rent in advance with a letting agency -
    on april 12th he was woken up by water coming through the ceiling onto his bed, he contacted the agency straight away and a maintenance man attended the property above and told my brother that a washing machine had leaked and he would give his report to the agency, brother also spoke to agency about the damage to the ceiling and walls, they said the would send someone to evaluate and repair - this was never done and remains in the same condition.
    on 4th june he recieved a call from the agent to say that maintenance men cleaning the communal areas had noticed that the flat had been broken into and on his return could he inform them of the condition ? when he got there the front door had been completely smashed and the door frame shattered, he took photos and called the agent to ask for a maintenance man to come, he was told they would not do that until he had a crime reference number from the police (he wrongly assumed that the agent had called the police), he called police straight away and they came shortly after and advised not to touch or remove anything until the forensic people had been the following day but said the agent should provide a temporary make safe - the agent said it was to late in the day to send anyone round but to ring them after forensics had been, (we stayed in the flat but put up a plastic sheet - a man came the following afternoon after police people had been and said he will have to do a temp repair until monday ? so he put 1 nail in the broken framework, taped the broken parts of the door together and put the broken yale lock back on and said he considered it safe ????? brother complained to agent but they said nothing could be done until monday, in the meantime brother removed his possesions and came to stay with me, we visited the agent and property everyday and kept being told that they were waiting for a new door and framework to arrive, we told the agent that he had now vacated the flat for safety and security issues, and were told it would not be repaired until the following week, my brother then asked to terminate the contract and agreed he was still reponsible for the rent until a new tenant could be found, the agent asked for a fee of £150 to re-market the property but would waive this because of this trouble, the door was not reaied until 17th june and we have been told today that anew tenant will move in on 15th july, so will he forward this months rent.... does my brother have any entitlment to a percentage off the full months rent as the flat was uninhabitable and repairs not done ???

thank you

You are more likely to get helpful responses if you use paragraphs and punctuation, thus enabling people to read your post.

Please could someone offer me some advice. My brother signed a 6 month AST (unfurnished) in March paying £700 deposit and rent in advance with a letting agency.

On April 12th he was woken up by water coming through the ceiling onto his bed. He contacted the agency straight away and a maintenance man attended the property above and told my brother that a washing machine had leaked and he would give his report to the agency. My brother also spoke to agency about the damage to the ceiling and walls; they said they would send someone to evaluate and repair - this was never done and remains in the same condition.

On 4th June he received a call from the agent to say that maintenance men cleaning the communal areas had noticed that the flat had been broken into and on his return could he inform them of the condition.

When he got there the front door had been completely smashed and the door frame shattered. He took photos and called the agent to ask for a maintenance man to come; he was told they would not do that until he had a crime reference number from the police (he wrongly assumed that the agent had called the police).

He called police straight away and they came shortly after and advised not to touch or remove anything until the forensic people had been the following day but said the agent should provide a temporary make safe. The agent said it was too late in the day to send anyone round but to ring them after forensics had been.

We stayed in the flat but put up a plastic sheet. A man came the following afternoon after police people had been and said he will have to do a temp repair until Monday. He put one nail in the broken framework, taped the broken parts of the door together and put the broken Yale lock back on and said he considered it safe.

My brother complained to agent but they said nothing could be done until Monday. In the meantime my brother removed his possesions and came to stay with me.

We visited the agent and property every day and kept being told that they were waiting for a new door and framework to arrive. We told the agent that he had now vacated the flat for safety and security issues, and were told it would not be repaired until the following week. My brother then asked to terminate the contract and agreed he was still reponsible for the rent until a new tenant could be found. The agent asked for a fee of £150 to re-market the property but would waive this because of this trouble.

The door was not reaied [sic] until 17th June and we have been told today that a new tenant will move in on 15th July, so will he forward this months rent.... Does my brother have any entitlement to a percentage off the full months rent as the flat was uninhabitable and repairs not done?

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
      You are more likely to get helpful responses if you use paragraphs and punctuation, thus enabling people to read your post.

Please could someone offer me some advice. My brother signed a 6 month AST (unfurnished) in March paying £700 deposit and rent in advance with a letting agency.

On April 12th he was woken up by water coming through the ceiling onto his bed. He contacted the agency straight away and a maintenance man attended the property above and told my brother that a washing machine had leaked and he would give his report to the agency. My brother also spoke to agency about the damage to the ceiling and walls; they said they would send someone to evaluate and repair - this was never done and remains in the same condition.

On 4th June he received a call from the agent to say that maintenance men cleaning the communal areas had noticed that the flat had been broken into and on his return could he inform them of the condition.

When he got there the front door had been completely smashed and the door frame shattered. He took photos and called the agent to ask for a maintenance man to come; he was told they would not do that until he had a crime reference number from the police (he wrongly assumed that the agent had called the police).

He called police straight away and they came shortly after and advised not to touch or remove anything until the forensic people had been the following day but said the agent should provide a temporary make safe. The agent said it was too late in the day to send anyone round but to ring them after forensics had been.

We stayed in the flat but put up a plastic sheet. A man came the following afternoon after police people had been and said he will have to do a temp repair until Monday. He put one nail in the broken framework, taped the broken parts of the door together and put the broken Yale lock back on and said he considered it safe.

My brother complained to agent but they said nothing could be done until Monday. In the meantime my brother removed his possesions and came to stay with me.

We visited the agent and property every day and kept being told that they were waiting for a new door and framework to arrive. We told the agent that he had now vacated the flat for safety and security issues, and were told it would not be repaired until the following week. My brother then asked to terminate the contract and agreed he was still reponsible for the rent until a new tenant could be found. The agent asked for a fee of £150 to re-market the property but would waive this because of this trouble.

The door was not reaied [sic] until 17th June and we have been told today that a new tenant will move in on 15th July, so will he forward this months rent.... Does my brother have any entitlement to a percentage off the full months rent as the flat was uninhabitable and repairs not done?
      thank you for that, i think i was in such a rush to get it typed before i forgot it all.

any answers or advice would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X