Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant's deposit

Good afternoon,
    I am selling my property with a sitting tenant and have a question with regards to the deposit paid by the tenant. It is with the Deposit Protection Service and the buyer of my property wants to deduct the amount of the deposit from the payment for the property or have asked if it can be handed over. Is this possible?

Am I going to have to get the deposit returned to the tenant and then get the buyer to collect the deposit from the tenant? Or is there an easier way?

Many thanks for all your help in advance

M

Why not ask the DPS how you should deal with the assignment of the deposit from you to the purchaser?

I would be reluctant to deduct the value of the protected deposit from the purchase price because (legally) you will not be the landlord when it comes to its return (or retention) and will therefore have no rights in it.

Also, does this even make sense? The deposit is T's property until you make a lawful deduction and not yours.

Comment

You do not have to pay the deposit to the buyer, or refund the deposit to the tenant.

The DPS is a custodial scheme, therefore the deposit money is physically held by the scheme. All that needs to happen is for the landlord's details to be amended with the scheme.

See paragraph 16 of DPS' T&C. Link here.

Comment

The buyer has to open a free account with DPS and you can then do a transfer between your account and his.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to End of tenancy questions
          by leasee123
          So is it best to serve section 21 together with a section 13? As that is the only way to ensure I can get the rent increase?...
          02-12-2021, 09:56 AM
        • End of tenancy questions
          by leasee123
          Hi,

I am a landlord and the current tenancy is coming close to the end of the AST fixed period. I am unsure what the process is when it comes to things like increasing rent and section 21 etc. I am using an agent for tenant find and they do the negotiating with the tenants (and of course...
          01-12-2021, 21:08 PM
        • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
          by bob369
          I wish to gain a court order for eviction, can that be sought in advance of the approaching Notices end date, or does he need to become a 'hold over' tresspasser before I can apply.
          Apologies that is a typo, if it wasn't for the infernal 'Moderator Approval' system being so pedantic I would have...
          02-12-2021, 09:54 AM
        • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
          by bob369
          Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
          24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
          by jpkeates
          You can charge them any rent that they agree to pay, otherwise, your only option to unilaterally increase the rent is a s13 notice.

The s13 notice includes an appeals process, so you can't simply "evict" someone by charging a ludicrous rent....
          02-12-2021, 09:50 AM
        • Reply to Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
          by Section20z
          The flat's lease will likely prohibit lettings of more than a year (or class it as an assignment)
          02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
        • Granting a very long AST (to a family member)
          by meehr
          For a variety of reasons a family member is considering renting out their leasehold flat to a cousin for a long period of time - to provide security they want to grant a very long AST, like 8 years (till kids have left home basically). They both want to do this for security and avoidance of argument...
          01-12-2021, 23:27 PM
          by leasee123
          But what happens if tenants don't leave (when it was originally agreed they would), can I charge them the higher rent? Because a section 13 would not have been served (given it was agreed they would leave at the end of the fixed term) would I still be allowed to charge them a higher rent?
          02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
        • Reply to who's repsponsibility
          by jpucng62
          Tenants often don't have the tools to manage large foliage or dispose of it. If I could do it without too much effort I probably would or offer to arrange for it to be done & pass on the cost. It is definitely their responsibility.
          02-12-2021, 09:20 AM
        • who's repsponsibility
          by madmaxwell
          Received message from tenant saying the storm last week had caused the bush/tree at the front of the property to blow over and could I sort asap. I replied I didn't know there was a bush/tree at the front of the property and enclosed the inventory photograph of the front showing this. The tenant responded...
          02-12-2021, 08:54 AM
        Working...
        X