Property on the market - should we let or not?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Property on the market - should we let or not?

    Just wondered about your thoughts on selling a property with or without a T in residence. Having got our troublesome T out, we've almost finished sprucing the place up again. We were waiting on the Budget to decide whether we continue to try to sell the place, but as CGT increases didn't materlialise, we going to keep it on the market.

    The first estate agent we used was also our letting agent, and he was keen for us to keep a T in place, as obviously it was commission for him. When we changed estate agents, they advised us it would be better marketted without a T.

    Obviously it looks at its best when we have just cleaned up between T's, so good time for potential buyers to view it, but as its been on the market now for over 12 months, we face losing a lot of potential rent if we leave it empty indefinately. The only interested parties that have looked around it in the time its been on the market have been "buy-to-let" purchasers, so it could be sold with a sitting T.

    Should we look for a new T in the meantime, or leave it vacant?

    If you market the property with a tenant in place you are restricting yourself to selling to investment purchasers who are looking for a BTL property. On the otherhand selling it without a tenant means that your market is widened to those looking for a property to move into as well. It is therefore better to sell without a resident tenant.

    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.


      BTL investors are unlikely to offer full market value - so you need to offset the loss of rent against the potential loss of sales value. I personally feel you would sell more quickly without a tenant - thus reducing the loss of rent.


        It depends on how quickly you are looking to sell and if you need to sell. I would suggest that you test the water with regards to selling without a tenant, as stated it puts potential buyers off. If the property hasnt sold within a certain time then let it out for 12 months until a similar time next year hoping by that time the market will have picked up again.


          If the property has been on the market for 12 months without selling, then it is too expensive. Reduce the price as it is clearly not worth what you ask.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            Thankyou for your replies.

            Taking on board your comments but interested in how you think it is two separate things….?
            One action was the direct cause of another land if I’m in court disputing amount of money owed isn’t that the time to be arguing my case? Not to be receiving...
            19-05-2022, 08:32 AM
          • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
            by Forgetmeknot
            I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
            so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
            18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by doobrey

            In my view, both sides must be free to choose. If you take away the right of businesses (which LLs are, whether they consider themselves to be or not) to assess risk and respond accordingly they will not be in business for very long. And if the LLs disappear then...
            19-05-2022, 08:18 AM
          • Single parent renting
            by Dct
            A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
            18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by Dct
            The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
            19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by DoricPixie
            You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
            19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
          • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by Renterthedragon
            I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

            I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

            Approaching the end...
            18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
          • Reply to Single parent renting
            by jpkeates
            Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
            Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

            Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
            19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by jpkeates
            I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

            The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
            19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
          • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
            by theartfullodger
            Spend £3 with land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
            Agree with above advice

            Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
            19-05-2022, 07:21 AM