New common law tenancy will change to AST in October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New common law tenancy will change to AST in October?

I understand that common law tenancies will change to AST's in October if the rent is under the new figure of £100,000 a year.
    I am just about to sign a CLT with a new tenant. Is there something I should write into it with regards to the changes? For example, the terms under which a tenant could be evicted will be totally different.
    Will I need to issue a new AST tenancy agreement or will the CLT be valid?

By common law tenancy, I presume you mean a bare contractual tenancy (one not regulated by the various Housing Acts).

I wouldn't try and predict or pre-empt what transitional provisions the change to the upper AST threshold may have - cross that bridge as and when you come to it. You risk making a bigger mess if you try to be clever in the agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
      By common law tenancy, I presume you mean a bare contractual tenancy (one not regulated by the various Housing Acts).
      The wording on the tenancy just says
      'COMMON LAW TENANCY AGREEMENT'

The tenancy is in one sole name but the rent is over £25,000

Comment

My LA is saying that existing tenancies won't change to AST's - it will only apply to new tenancies after October.

I thought it affected existing tenancies.

Can someone clarify?
        Thanks.

Comment

Letting agents: that will known reliable font of legal and legislative insight and knowledge....

Comment

Originally posted by dominic View Post
            Letting agents: that will known reliable font of legal and legislative insight and knowledge....

....and they're wrong?
            ....or right?

Thanks

Comment

A residential letting at a yearly rent over £25 000 but not more than £100 000 that, when created, failed to be within the Housing Act 1988 due to the 'high rent' trigger will become covered by the Act from 1 October. It could not have been an AST (nor an SAT) when created- and so it could never have been made an SAT by use of Schedule 2A- so it will thereupon inevitably become an AST.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

No - Dominic is just making oblique reference to certain letting agents who go about giving the impression that they are fully familiar with all aspects of landlord-tenant law. They are - they are fully familiar with the law which they make up themselves which they attempt to slavishly enforce on all their landlord clients as it is very much in the agents favour and helps them to make the amount of money out of the business that they feel they so richly deserve! Fortunately, we are around, landlords, tenants, agents who DO know landlord tenant law and our legal professional experts who can inform such people who enquire what the law really is!

P.P.
                Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

In practical terms will anything need to be changed at that time?

Will I need to draw up a new tenancy agreement or will the existing one just become an AST?

Comment

As I posted, an existing Letting Agreement will thereupon become an AST.
                    The change does not affect its validity- merely the category of tenancy which is deemed created.
                    The main uncertainty concerns protection of already-paid deposits. When paid, they were not AST deposits (so unprotectable); from 1 Oct., they are AST deposits even though paid before then. My view is that they need not be protected, as- when paid- they were not AST deposits.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
                      No - Dominic is just making oblique reference to certain letting agents who go about giving the impression that they are fully familiar with all aspects of landlord-tenant law. They are - they are fully familiar with the law which they make up themselves which they attempt to slavishly enforce on all their landlord clients as it is very much in the agents favour and helps them to make the amount of money out of the business that they feel they so richly deserve! Fortunately, we are around, landlords, tenants, agents who DO know landlord tenant law and our legal professional experts who can inform such people who enquire what the law really is!

P.P.
                      I will be eternally grateful to this forum for educating me - a novice landlord.
                      I am constantly amazed at how much better informed I now am than my LA the so called 'experts'!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                        by jpkeates
                        The process seems to have changed recently.
                        The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
                        You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
                        But you do that with only access to what the...
                        18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
                      • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
                        by Maymiss
                        I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
                        03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
                      • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                        by jpkeates
                        Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
                        18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
                      • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                        by fmST1
                        When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                        I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                        11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                      • Reply to Part furnished
                        by jpkeates
                        It depends on your local market.
                        Mine seems expect a fridge freezer and washing machine as an "unfurnished" property.

Blinds not curtains and it varies - usually whats been left behind (have had to add some blind safety hook things in the past).

Check ads for...
                        18-09-2020, 13:48 PM
                      • Part furnished
                        by Chester Perry
                        Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                        18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                      • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                        by boletus
                        What are your arrears, ASB, and eviction rates as a % of all tenancies?
                        18-09-2020, 13:41 PM
                      • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                        by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                        Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                        18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                      • Reply to Guarantor agreements
                        by AndrewDod
                        I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
                        but rather
                        a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
                        and
                        b) What criteria does a potential...
                        18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
                      • Guarantor agreements
                        by CHARLIEMAN
                        Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
                        16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
                      Working...
                      X