Questions from a tenant with bad money managment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions from a tenant with bad money managment

I move out of the house I am renting next week. I have lived here for the past 2 years now, with a group of friends (a couple of people have moved out, and others have come in and gone so currently there are 3 in a 6 bed house.

Due to financial difficulties ( and also being very bad at money management) I owe nearly £5000 over the last 2 years as does another housemate. The thrid current tenant owes £1500, and the people who have moved out also do but he hasn't chased them up.

Our landlord rarely mentions for rent (once every couple of months), or when we do get in touch with regards to paying some, he either takes a long time to get or forgets completely.

The condition of the house has not been great - indeed he is currently doing work on the house that the council told him he HAD to do to make the house fit their rules or he wouldn't be allowed to have tenants in the property; he was, as far as I'm aware, told to do this work a year or so ago. For example, putting a second bathroom in and firedoors and such

We never signed a contract for this year, and I don't recall signing one the year before.

I do want to pay him back as he is a nice guy and I feel guilty, but it will take me a while to do so (ie 2 years, maybe 3).

Where do I, and my housemates stand, in regards to paying the money owed and how long we would have to do it? Like I say, I do intend to as I feel I'm taking the mickey otherwise, but I just want to know where I stand.

One of the people who moved out sent the landlord a message saying he didn't feel the house was in a suitable condition and therefore would not pay the rent he owed. The landlord hasn't responded. What happens here?

Oh, and one more thing; the other person who owes 5k says that as he owes for last year as well and never signed anything, any money he has paid this year is for the preious year and as such, has no verbal agreement to pay for this year. Surely this isn't correct?

Can you confirm that each of you had a separate tenancy agreement - perhaps for a room each?

In any case, regarding your last comment, once a tenancy is established then rent is contractually due. At the end of a fixed-term AST the tenancy becomes a "Statutory Periodic Tenancy" with all the obligations/rights of the original agreement except for clauses relating to notice.

Comment

It was, as far as I know, a joint contract ie all of us on the same contract, but we're responsible for our portion and nothing else

Comment

Originally posted by feelbad View Post
        It was, as far as I know, a joint contract ie all of us on the same contract, but we're responsible for our portion and nothing else
        Are you sure? This sounds like a horendous situation.

Have you paid a deposit?

I would suggest you write to the landlord stating what you intend to do about the missing rent (make it realistically affordable). Then keep up with whatever you have promised. The landlord could possibly take you to court but would have little to gain by doing so.

Comment

Never had a deposit, and I'm pretty sure that was the case on the tenancy.

I'm considering taking a loan out. I really don't want to, but it might be necessary. A quick scouting of my bank's website tells me that if I was to take out a 5 year loan of 7k, it would be 150 a month. Sure I'd end up paying more back but I could handle that amount a month and the difference between the rent and the total loan would go towards repayments, kept to one side...

Bad times.

Comment

Of course, I'm pretty sure that if he had been stricter, I would have kept up to date, or at least been a lot closer and would have had no choice but to budget properly and be tight with my money

Comment

I'm considering taking a loan out. I really don't want to, but it might be necessary. A quick scouting of my bank's website tells me that if I was to take out a 5 year loan of 7k, it would be 150 a month. Sure I'd end up paying more back but I could handle that amount a month and the difference between the rent and the total loan would go towards repayments, kept to one side...
              I would be inclined not to go for a loan. My suggestion involves no interest! If he threatens court, then maybe consider it to avoid a CCJ but I really don't think it is sensible right now.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that if he had been stricter, I would have kept up to date, or at least been a lot closer and would have had no choice but to budget properly and be tight with my money
              No defence I'm afraid - he's your landlord, he doesn't have parental responsibility for you

Comment

I'll speak to him in the next day or so and ask him if it would be acceptable to pay it all back over the next 3 years. Say it is 5k, then 33 a week would mean 3 years and we'd be settled. Not ideal obviously but it's the best I could do without a loan or bankrupting myself. Would you consider this acceptable if you were him, d'ya reckon?

...and yes, I'm aware this is all my fault!

Comment

A very responsible attitude, and if I were him, I'd jump at the chance.

Comment

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. Legally, all joint tenants are jointly and individually liable for the whole of the rent - there is no such thing as a 'share' of the rent. In theory, the LL could pursue any one of you for all the arrears (for up to six years).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X