Rent Rebate to Tenant - My responsibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Rebate to Tenant - My responsibility?

Hello

I was hoping you could advise me with the following situation.

I own a property (England) that is let through a LA. A tenant moved in July 31 2009 and after the end of the 6 month contract it reverted to the rolling tenancy as standard.

The tenant gave notice to move out at the end of the current rental period and the agents have been marketting the property since the tenant gave notice. After several viewings a new tenant has been arranged so their is no void period.

The tenant actually said to the LA that they would move out of the property early (I think this was the most convenient time to move based on work committments as they usually work outside the UK). They have left the property today and the agents have arranged for the new tenant to move in on Friday.

The tenant has asked if there is any possibility of having a partial rebate on the part of the month they are not using.

Ideally I'd like not to have to give this but what is the position legally - is it stricly her flat to the end of the notice period or am I free to move a new tenant in after she vacates the property? If I said no to a partial rebate and she decided to be awkward could she insist on having access right up to to the end of the month?

I think I've covered all the info needed but any more details that could make a difference ask away and I'll provide more details.

Thanks

legally you cannot accept rent from 2 people under different tenancies for the same dates.

your current tenant (the one that moved out today) will be responsible for rent up to Thursday providing the new tenancy commences on friday.

She could insist on staying there for the full period and she is quite within her rights to do so.

She should pay for the time she is there. Please remember though that should you rebate her via the agency they need to clawback from you the amount they actually paid you as your payment was with commission deducted but the monies owed back to the tenant will be the full amount.

Hope this helps

Comment

I think you know the answer really. You cannot rent the same property to two tenants at the same time.

Your tenant sounds reasonable and if the new one moves in immediately you are in the lucky position of having no void months. I would ask the tenant to sign a deed of surrender, refund the unused rent to that date as a goodwill gesture and then get your new tenant in place asap.

It would probably be best to allow a few days between them to enable you to titivate it if needed.
      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

You can't have your cake and eat it

Originally posted by CheshireDave View Post

The tenant has asked if there is any possibility of having a partial rebate on the part of the month they are not using.

Ideally I'd like not to have to give this but what is the position legally - is it stricly her flat to the end of the notice period or am I free to move a new tenant in after she vacates the property? If I said no to a partial rebate and she decided to be awkward could she insist on having access right up to to the end of the month?
        Usually, rent paid in advance is not refundable, but equally, the tenant retains full rights for the period for which rent has been paid. In this situation, with a new tenant due to move in before the end of that period, you'd be insane to refuse a partial refund. Worst case scenario, exiting T could sue you for damages for illegal eviction.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
          22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
        • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
          16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by newtenant9011
          You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
          22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
        • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by thesleepingdog
          Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
          22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
        • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
          by DPT57
          In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
          22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
        • Rent Rises in 2020
          by jpucng62
          I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
          19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
        • Reply to Rats
          by ChrisDennison
          These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
          22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
        • Rats
          by ETB
          I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
          21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
        • Reply to Rats
          by Berlingogirl
          I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
          22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
        • Reply to Call to courts to initiate reactivation
          by Jon66
          You can send the information to court quoting the case number and ask them to include it in the bundle. If it's a mandatory ground the information will make little if any difference to the outcome.
          22-09-2020, 12:04 PM
        Working...
        X