What can I request my Managing Agent to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I request my Managing Agent to do?

I let out my flat in London with Winkworth for around £1,000 a month. Winworth take their 17.5% cut.

I am working and living overseas in the USA, so most correspondance is via email.

Recently, there have been minor fixes and repairs costing between £100 and £200 that I have been billed for.

I have requested that (1) Winkworth get my permission before spending this money and (2) get at least 2 quotes for each job.

I've been told that out of 300 landlords they work for, I am the only person to make this request. Their argument is that it wastes time to check with me first.

Am I being unreasonable or is Winkworth being unhelpful?

Thanks

Originally posted by onmyd View Post
    I let out my flat in London with Winkworth for around £1,000 a month. Winworth take their 17.5% cut.

I am working and living overseas in the USA, so most correspondance is via email.

Recently, there have been minor fixes and repairs costing between £100 and £200 that I have been billed for.

I have requested that (1) Winkworth get my permission before spending this money and (2) get at least 2 quotes for each job.

I've been told that out of 300 landlords they work for, I am the only person to make this request. Their argument is that it wastes time to check with me first.

Thanks
    You are being perfectly reasonable. Your agents are being entirely unhelpful.

They seem to be forgetting that you are employing them to do a job. He who pays the piper, calls the tune.

And it is not as though you are doing a Victorian-style foray into the unchartered jungles at the far reaches of the Empire, for goodness' sake. These days being abroad does not mean that you are incommunicado. Has your agent not heard of email?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

A Letting Agent is merely your sub-contractor. As they say (but Letting Agents don't), "The customer is always right."
      If they refuse to comply, take your business away. Letting Agents will only toe the client's line if all clients insist and don't weakly cave-in.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        A Letting Agent is merely your sub-contractor. As they say (but Letting Agents don't), "the customer is always right."
        If they refuse to comply, take your business away. Letting Agents will only toe the client's line if all clients insist and don't weakly cave-in.
        I agree (although a weekly in-cave does sound quite fun).
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

You can request that your managing agent does anything you like. As stated previously they work for you. We will tailor services to whatever a client wants us to do. With regards to any work being carried out our standard way of working is to check with the landlord for anything that needs to be done unless otherwise instructed. If, using logic and common sense (opening myself up for loads of verbal slurs re: letting agents and common sense which shouldnt be in the same sentence) then if I deem a tenants request necessary, not an emergency but necessary and I try to contact the landlord a number of times without success then I will make a decision on the LL's behalf, obviously taking into consideration the tenant, the LL and their property.

Go back to your agents and request that they deal with your property however you would like it to be dealt with and if they refuse then find another agent that will.

Comment

Originally posted by fristonsmalllettings View Post
            If, using logic and common sense (opening myself up for loads of verbal slurs re: letting agents and common sense which shouldnt be in the same sentence) .
            Out of the mouths of babes...

Comment

Well....anyone knows that its silly to open your mouth on this forum if your an agent but it annoys me when you hear some of the complaints of bad service, especially when some of us try to provide a decent service to the few landlords who feel that for whatever reason, time, other commitments etc, they are unable to look after their own property.

Comment

Originally posted by onmyd View Post
                No and yes.

Not to disagree with what others have said (including the part about taking your business elsewhere); but isn't this stuff written into your agreement with them, as in what cost threshold the agents can go ahead without recourse to you, and how many quotes they need to get etc? I mean - what happens if your roof blows off one day - are they just going to pay £10K to the first builder they find, without even asking you? No (well hopefully not).

Another point is that presumably you're locked into your agreement with the agent for the duration of the current tenancy and it would be difficult to extricate yourself before a change of tenant, if you wanted to (check your contract wording).

Comment

Well....anyone knows that its silly to open your mouth on this forum if your an agent .

That opinion might carry more weight were it not for the fact that you have chosen a user name which openly advertises your lettings business.

Not so silly after all?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    That opinion might carry more weight were it not for the fact that you have chosen a user name which openly advertises your lettings business.

Not so silly after all?
                    Force of habit Im afraid, more than happy to change it, if it was to effect any responses or replies to any posts I was to make in the future

Comment

Force of habit Im afraid, more than happy to change it, if it was to effect any responses or replies to any posts I was to make in the future
                      Well, as you say, it may cause a few bristles to stiffen! The principle is that members are not supposed to advertise free on this site. (Topic experts are excepted). It may appear to some that you have used a rather crafty way of getting round that ban.

And, given the ever-increasing deluge of complaints on this site about the incompetence and perceived greed of letting agents generally, I would be disinclined to admit I was one in any case. We have a few letting agents who do a sterling job advising people on this forum, which makes me believe they are not all useless, but as you note, they do not, as a breed, enjoy a great reputation with either LLs or Ts. Perhaps they need to ask themselves why.

Your username cannot effect (?) a response; it might however affect how neutral it is perceived to be, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                        Well, as you say, it may cause a few bristles to stiffen! The principle is that members are not supposed to advertise free on this site. (Topic experts are excepted). It may appear to some that you have used a rather crafty way of getting round that ban.

And, given the ever-increasing deluge of complaints on this site about the incompetence and perceived greed of letting agents generally, I would be disinclined to admit I was one in any case. We have a few letting agents who do a sterling job advising people on this forum, which makes me believe they are not all useless, but as you note, they do not, as a breed, enjoy a great reputation with either LLs or Ts. Perhaps they need to ask themselves why.

Your username cannot effect (?) a response; it might however affect how neutral it is perceived to be, I suppose.
                        Duly noted as an agent that tries to offer good service and to hear and act on sound advice of others

Comment

As the rest have said, although I offer landlords the chance to stipulate an amount that they're happy to have automatically authorised, usually under £100.

17.5% sounds rather high too, although i'm in the north so not sure if that's the norm down there.
                          <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                            by MdeB
                            It is their property because you have leased it to them.

I too would have been annoyed if you had entered my property without my permission....
                            18-09-2020, 19:50 PM
                          • Tenant taking issue with "lateness" of inspection.
                            by SamCartman
                            We gave 4 working days notice to our tenant of entry to inspect, and specified 2pm to meet with them at the property.
                            We arrived 20-25 minutes late due to traffic and rung the doorbell with no answer, so we used our keys to get in and ran a brief inspection in their absence which was fine. ...
                            18-09-2020, 15:43 PM
                          • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                            by MdeB
                            My experience:
                            1. The only S21 notice I have issued, the tenants left when the notice period ended.
                            2. A friend of my wife received a S21 notice (it appeared invalid in about 8 ways when she gave me details) after sho posted on her social media page a photo and question about mould in her toddler's bedroom.
                            18-09-2020, 19:40 PM
                          • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
                            by fmST1
                            When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
                            I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
                            11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
                          • Reply to Part furnished
                            by jpucng62
                            So what do they do with their furniture between these 'owned houses'?

Just because you experience is different to mine doesn't make my view of renters any stranger than yours. It is based on 20 years of tenants who have all happily supplied their own furniture. I accept that it is not a...
                            18-09-2020, 19:37 PM
                          • Part furnished
                            by Chester Perry
                            Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
                            18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
                            by cuttingman
                            It's not their fault they are on holiday when you want to inspect. Hopefully they don't install some hidden cameras and you can prove the notice of inspection was received by the tenant.

It's a good thing the girl doesn't have a hearing problem and was having a shower when you walked in...
                            18-09-2020, 19:34 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            Well the words you use "tenants agreed that it would be okay and would be at home" does NOT suggest a simple permission to enter.

I'm not 100% sure what you are aiming for here - but I would just apologise and say that you will clarify the extent of permission next time....
                            18-09-2020, 19:32 PM
                          • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                            by MdeB
                            If you are imminently implementing it, then isn't it a bit late to be seeking landords' views?

Does that have any inherent meaning, or is it from a buzzword generator?

I think this is the wrong place to be looking for landlords that might be willing to...
                            18-09-2020, 19:19 PM
                          • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
                            by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
                            Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
                            18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
                          Working...
                          X