Should tenant's partner also be a tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should tenant's partner also be a tenant?

A prospective new tenant has a partner and 3 children. Should both the adults be on the tenancy agreement?

Not necessarily: it is up to the landlord. If there are rent payment problems then there are two people who can be chased for the arrears, but as such people invariably have insuffucuent funds, the legal process of extracting such debts can be both un-productive and expensive. The only worthwhile action available to a landlord is eviction and when this results in a visit from the bailiffs they will evict every occupant of the property irrespective of whether they are signatories on the lease or not.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by Thyrsis View Post
      A prospective new tenant has a partner and 3 children. Should both the adults be on the tenancy agreement?
      If both are on the tenancy agreement, then as P.Pilcher says, you have 2 people to go after if there are problems.

If they are not good financial prospects - then definitely both on the agreement and guarantor for each - preferably one from each family.

Comment

Our agent has suggested the partner is a 'permitted occupier', as they are not a married couple and then she doesn’t have any legal rights in the property.
        Does that seem sensible?

Comment

Yes.

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Hi,

i would agree with the eviction process.I have two people and now baby also.One was 17.5 years old when they took on the tenancy.I asked that both signed the Tenancy Agreement, both duly did.I am now sitting with paperwork from the Local Authority to show that the chaps name has been removed from the contract, not only that,my name has been forged in order to apply for housing benefit and such like.They have also managed to have their council tax exempted as she claims she lives alone with the baby.I am awaiting the actions of the local authority.The tenants started blocking access to the property,however then relented.I have one solution soon, try to evict,however you could find this difficult as easier if the grounds of evcition are mandatory, ie rent arrears, was your home originally or refusing to allow entry to house for repairs.Watermarked paper may help you to prove the original contract if this happens to you.KEEP A PAPER TRAIL, AND GOOD LUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by Disillusioned View Post
              I have two people and now baby also.One was 17.5 years old when they took on the tenancy.I asked that both signed the Tenancy Agreement, both duly did.
              The one aged under 18 is not a tenant, even so. A minor cannot hold any legal estate or interest.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X