Agents fees for extending tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marlott7 View Post
    If they were finding a new tenant for me then I could understand it.
    Quite. They would not doubt assert that you are still profiting from the T they went to the trouble of finding for you, so they should also. Needless to say most LLs do not agree with them.

It would seem (from the complaints posted on this forum at least), that there is quite a lot of the 'Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome' about what letting agents actually do.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Agreeemnt says

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Read the contract you originally signed with the agent. What does it say about continuation/renewal fees if the tenant remains in the property after the end of the fixed term?
      This what it says on my agreement:-
      "The contract can be terminated with ones months notice given in writing from the Landlord. If the tenant is in the property at this time, the agreed period of the contract will be charged to the landlord."

What does this mean??? Anyone any ideas. The tenancy terminates on 28 August.
      Thanks

Comment

Whatever 'agreed period of the contract' means- the fixed term, I guess- it cannot include a statutory periodic tenancy's period.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Whatever 'agreed period of the contract' means- the fixed term, I guess- it cannot include a statutory periodic tenancy's period.
          In other words, it would appear that both you and the LL can get out of this agents' clutches at the end of the fixed term if the LL gives him one month's notice.

However, does it go on to say anything about continuing to pay the agent commisison/fees if the same T remains in the property past the fixed term?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X