Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about damage compensation

Hello,

About a month after we moved into rented house I noticed cracks along hinges on one of internal doors. I am not sure were those cracks before or appeared after we moved in, because door stops were missing, but I removed the door and phoned LA. Since we were not needed urgent repair they were going to discuss the issue during next visit, but everyone successfully forgot about it and we lived happily 6 years w/o door to stairway.
    Unfortunately door was left in the garage and deformed under it weight during that time and I only noticed that after I removed all possessions from the house and cleaned it, so it was too late to replace the door. LA is now seeking for compensation for replacing the door, which is fine, but they want £120 for the door, which can be purchased new and already painted for £22.99 from Wickes. Their quote includes new hinges, new door handles and lock, painting and installation, but from my point of view this price is a little bit excessive.
    Does anyone know the real price of internal door installation? Is it up to LA to choose contractors who will do the job, or I can expect more economical spending of my money for this repair?

Why don't you ask the agent how it arrived at this figure, and show you a copy of the quote it has obtained?

Alternatively, ring around yourself for a quote for installation of a new door. That way you can get a feel for the labour costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogerm View Post
      LA is now seeking for compensation for replacing the door, which is fine, but they want £120 for the door, which can be purchased new and already painted for £22.99 from Wickes. Their quote includes new hinges, new door handles and lock, painting and installation, but from my point of view this price is a little bit excessive.
      I'm assuming you're talking about a white MDF door, which are the cheapest (and most poorl quality, obviously) available - are you sure that's what the original is, ie not solid wood etc?

FYI white MDF doors don't come 'painted' - they come ready-primed, which still need painting with undercoat and topcoat.

I'd expect to pay a joiner around £35 per door for hanging new ones - might be a bit more if it's a special trip for one door. Price of fittings is very variable depending on quality (ie matching up what's already there - though I'd have thought that for matching purposes I'd have thought they's be re-using the old handles rather than trying to find identical new ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        I'm assuming you're talking about a white MDF door, which are the cheapest (and most poorl quality, obviously) available - are you sure that's what the original is, ie not solid wood etc?
        Yes, it is the cheapest door. I've seen exactly the same in different stores for £20-£25 and wasn't really worried about this damage. For anything more expensive I would have sent official letter to LA. door handles cost £5 in Focus - I replaced myself exactly the same on another door.

Solid wooden door would not be deformed under its own weight even after 10 years in the garage...

FYI white MDF doors don't come 'painted' - they come ready-primed, which still need painting with undercoat and topcoat.
        reviews.wickes.co.uk/9987-en_gb/200613/reviews.html

I'd expect to pay a joiner around £35 per door for hanging new ones - might be a bit more if it's a special trip for one door. Price of fittings is very variable depending on quality (ie matching up what's already there - though I'd have thought that for matching purposes I'd have thought they's be re-using the old handles rather than trying to find identical new ones).
        First company i rang quoted £60-80 per door plus installation, but refused to give me a written quote w/o seeing the property.
        LA haven't requested any quotes at all - they simply instructed their contractors to carry out work and informed me that they are going to deduct costs from my deposit. When I asked them about the price, they said they would need to call contractors and find out. Then they called me back and said £59 for door, handles and hinges and £60 - labour.

Unfortunately I haven't received from them any paperwork yet despite the fact that according to TA they had to send it to me within 10 days... I made an appointment to come and pick up documents myself, but when I arrived, manager was away... heh.
        It seems to me they were not happy that I moved out a week in advance and spent whole week cleaning the house, so they couldn't claim money for anything else

Comment

Obviously, this tenancy commenced before the deposit protection rules came into being, however, there is a body of opinion that says if a new 'tenancy agreement' was entered into since 6/4/07 then the deposit should have been protected. Does this apply to you?

Was there an inventory of the property taken when you moved in? Was it signed by you, and did it mention the door?

I suspect, short of negotiation, your only option would be to send a 'letter before action' and subsequently commence 'small claims' action against the agent at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

Only you can decide if it is worth it for a (relatively) small amount of money.

Comment

Actually it was AST which I had to renew each year with £80 admin fee... Deposit is protected, inventory signed (6 years ago) and I agree to pay reasonable compensation even if I think that wasn't really my fault, because that door didn't have door stops and was causing only problems in any way by shutting or opening wide when you open patio doors... 7 other doors don't even have dents on them after 6 years of usage...
            The problem is that house haven't had any redecoration minimum 7 years, and I think they are trying to charge me twice as much as the real price for the door replacement. I get this as "You are not our clients any more, so we will try to charge you as much as we can"...
            I just wanted to hear someone else opinion about reasonable compensation for accidental damage. And I don't really understand people who are trying to get "extra" few pounds on top of almost £50000 rent I paid during 6 years

Comment

I dont think £120 is overly excessive (but a little on the high side) for a chippy to come out and which includes supply and fit. Yes they could have got it cheaper but arranging a handy man to do it but it would still push a 100 quid.

You must have known it would be a issue before you left so why didnt you arrange it yourself before you left which seems to me to have been the sensible thing to do.

How much rent you have paid is a compleatly differant issue.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                You must have known it would be a issue before you left so why didnt you arrange it yourself before you left which seems to me to have been the sensible thing to do.
                Moving home after 6 years of living there with 3 kids is always a problem. You must inform lots of companies, DVLA, Council, arrange removers, cleaners, etc, etc, etc... I simply forgot about the door. Even LA didn't notice missed door during checkout as it not listed in inventory, but visible on photo, attached to inventory. I only noticed door on the last day of cleaning, when I removed last boxes from the garage.

I knew LL was going to rebuild part of the house, so I have tried to contact her and ask what she is expecting from us. She didn't want to discuss anything and said simply 'exactly as in our TA'. "Fine", I said, and paid £150 for professional carpet cleaning for cleaning 10-years old carpets, which I would have replaced if I was LL myself... I spent a week cleaning everything and repairing small bits and made house looking better and cleaner than the one we moved into now. Checkout is not a school exam, where you made one mistake and failed... I expect some cooperation in return.

Am I right, that I am only liable for compensation for the damage minus fair wear and tear? Can I expect that they should reuse old hinges, lock and handles, which are not damaged, and which will save me at least £25? Can I expect that paining of 10 years old door should not be included in the final price?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                  by jpucng62
                  Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                  22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
                • Rent Rises in 2020
                  by jpucng62
                  I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                  19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                  by MR M
                  I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                  22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                  by MR M
                  The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                  16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                  by newtenant9011
                  You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                  22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
                • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                  by thesleepingdog
                  Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                  22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                  by DPT57
                  In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                  22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Rats
                  by ChrisDennison
                  These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                  22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
                • Rats
                  by ETB
                  I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                  21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                • Reply to Rats
                  by Berlingogirl
                  I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
                  22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
                Working...
                X