Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility bills unpaid

Hi All Landlords,

I was wondering if you could please help. I have a question on when bills would be paid until by tennants.

Would tenants need to pay for all the (rent & utility bills, council tax) for the date that they vacate the flat.

As an example , if the rent is due every 2nd of the month and their moving out date is the 5th of a month. Would they be required to pay for 5th of the month date for the rent and other bills such ie gas, water, council bill for the date to (5th).

I only ask as current tennants have decided to tell utility companies that they were cancelling the accounts to 3rd of month, although in reality they departed the property on afternnon of 5th. So should they pay for 4th and 5th date if they left on 5th afternoon.

There was an AST contract in place until 5th signed for the property.

Thanks

Liability for property outgoings

Your tenants are liable for property outgoings until the point at which they vacated. You should write to the utility suppliers and the local authority with meter readings up to that date and ask them to put the accounts into your name as from the date you recovered possession

Comment

Originally posted by mfezza View Post

Would tenants need to pay for all the (rent & utility bills, council tax) for the date that they vacate the flat.

Originally posted by quarterday View Post
      Your tenants are liable for property outgoings until the point at which they vacated. You should write to the utility suppliers and the local authority with meter readings up to that date and ask them to put the accounts into your name as from the date you recovered possession
      I agree with quarterday about the utility bills..

The rent, however, is slightly different.

Unless formally agreed otherwise with the LL (which it may well have been, of course): if Ts do not leave at the expiry of a notice period (either theirs or the LL's), and stay over into the next rental period, they become liable for the rent for the whole of that rental period and not just part of it; legally, it is not apportioned, e.g. they cannot say it works out as so much per day/week if rent is payable monthly.

Does your notice requiring possession require it after the 4th or after 5th of that month?

If it was mutually agreed they should be gone by midnight of the 5th (ie not be there on 6th), then they owe rent for 5th.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Wheras I appreciate that mtg may well be perfectly correct - why argue aboout it as it only causes unpleasantness. I apportion rent on a daily basis under such circumstances so vacating tenants pay until the day that their keys are surrendered.

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Part furnished
          by Chester Perry
          Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
          18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
        • Reply to Guarantor agreements
          by AndrewDod
          I suppose the real questions is not "what tricks do I need to try to get around these potential massive risks"
          but rather
          a) "how much extra premium should I charge on rents to offset these massive risks" - 10%, 50% ?
          and
          b) What criteria does a potential...
          18-09-2020, 13:33 PM
        • Guarantor agreements
          by CHARLIEMAN
          Hi all,

I am asking a prospective tenant to provide a guarantor and was wondering how the deed should be dated with regards to the term of the tenancy. The tenancy will be a 6 month assured shorthold agreement but I would want the guarantor to continue to act for the duration of the periodic...
          16-09-2020, 14:22 PM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by flyingfreehold
          they tend to favour the tenant
          18-09-2020, 13:26 PM
        • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by Maymiss
          I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
          03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by Maymiss
          I am sad to say that after paying a lump sum to my landlord, they are now claiming the full amount of my deposit also. My deposit is held with DPS and I understand they are generally fair in their dealings, but after reading reviews online it appears they do not always review disputes thoroughly and...
          18-09-2020, 13:21 PM
        • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
          by ChrisDennison
          Of course not because a s21 notice is a private notice so nobody will know how many are issued in the country each day, and this would only change if all s21 notices would need to be centrally lodged (I can’t see that happen and can’t see a good reason for it either).

18-09-2020, 13:07 PM
        • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
          by fmST1
          When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
          I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
          11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
        • Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by jpkeates
          The characteristics of the people you wish to home would be obvious red flags to most PRS landlords.
          I don't think you would be able to persuade me to risk the value of my property when the option to remove a problem tenant is, essentially, unavailable.

I have only thought about this...
          18-09-2020, 13:02 PM
        • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
          Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
          18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
        Working...
        X