deposit? Does it need to be put into a scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deposit? Does it need to be put into a scheme?

If i am doing the rent a room scheme and i am a live in land lord in my house do i need to put the lodgers deposit into a tenancy deposit scheme? Or can i just put it into a bank account? Please help someone as i cannot find the answer anywhere,

Deposits have to be put in a scheme if the property is being leased using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement. As you are letting out a room and presumably other facilities in your home (which you are also occupying) are being shared with this person, he/she is a lodger for which the use of an AST does not apply. Hence no deposit needs to be registered in a scheme.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Hi

Thankyou for getting back to me, its just that i had a few probs with my last lodger and i had to take some of her deposit off her, and now she has had a solicitor send me a letter and it states this on the bottom of it, but like you said its a lodger agreemnet not a assured shorthold tenancy agreement so i guess im ok, but i will try and get some solicitor advice its just so pricy though, do you know of anywhere else i could get advice on this?

Many thanks

Kate

Comment

The only bit of law that demands deposit protection is the 2004 Housing Act (s212 to 215).

213(1) specifically says
        Any tenancy deposit paid to a person in connection with a shorthold tenancy must, as from the time when it is received, be dealt with in accordance with an authorised scheme
        Your lodger didn't even have a tenancy, let alone a 'shorthold tenancy'.

Comment

Originally posted by 6012kate View Post
          Thankyou for getting back to me, its just that i had a few probs with my last lodger and i had to take some of her deposit off her, and now she has had a solicitor send me a letter and it states this on the bottom of it, but like you said its a lodger agreemnet not a assured shorthold tenancy agreement so i guess im ok, but i will try and get some solicitor advice its just so pricy though, do you know of anywhere else i could get advice on this?
          Assuming that you are a "live in landlord in your house" (as you say) then the lodger/occupier is not an assured shorthold tenant.

Deposit protection only applies to assured shorthold tenancies.

You don't need to pay a solicitor to tell you this. Most likely the solicitor hired by the lodger hasn't a clue about landlord & tenant/housing law.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X