deposit? Does it need to be put into a scheme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deposit? Does it need to be put into a scheme?

If i am doing the rent a room scheme and i am a live in land lord in my house do i need to put the lodgers deposit into a tenancy deposit scheme? Or can i just put it into a bank account? Please help someone as i cannot find the answer anywhere,

Deposits have to be put in a scheme if the property is being leased using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement. As you are letting out a room and presumably other facilities in your home (which you are also occupying) are being shared with this person, he/she is a lodger for which the use of an AST does not apply. Hence no deposit needs to be registered in a scheme.

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Hi

Thankyou for getting back to me, its just that i had a few probs with my last lodger and i had to take some of her deposit off her, and now she has had a solicitor send me a letter and it states this on the bottom of it, but like you said its a lodger agreemnet not a assured shorthold tenancy agreement so i guess im ok, but i will try and get some solicitor advice its just so pricy though, do you know of anywhere else i could get advice on this?

Many thanks

Kate

Comment

The only bit of law that demands deposit protection is the 2004 Housing Act (s212 to 215).

213(1) specifically says
        Any tenancy deposit paid to a person in connection with a shorthold tenancy must, as from the time when it is received, be dealt with in accordance with an authorised scheme
        Your lodger didn't even have a tenancy, let alone a 'shorthold tenancy'.

Comment

Originally posted by 6012kate View Post
          Thankyou for getting back to me, its just that i had a few probs with my last lodger and i had to take some of her deposit off her, and now she has had a solicitor send me a letter and it states this on the bottom of it, but like you said its a lodger agreemnet not a assured shorthold tenancy agreement so i guess im ok, but i will try and get some solicitor advice its just so pricy though, do you know of anywhere else i could get advice on this?
          Assuming that you are a "live in landlord in your house" (as you say) then the lodger/occupier is not an assured shorthold tenant.

Deposit protection only applies to assured shorthold tenancies.

You don't need to pay a solicitor to tell you this. Most likely the solicitor hired by the lodger hasn't a clue about landlord & tenant/housing law.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
            by DPT57
            Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
            22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
          • Rent Rises in 2020
            by jpucng62
            I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
            19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
            by jpucng62
            Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
            22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
          • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
            by MR M
            I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
            22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
          • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
            by MR M
            The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
            16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
          • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by newtenant9011
            You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
            22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
          • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by thesleepingdog
            Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
            22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
            by DPT57
            In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
            22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Reply to Rats
            by ChrisDennison
            These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
            22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
          • Rats
            by ETB
            I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
            21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
          Working...
          X