Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice - please help!

The Dilema:
    We want to leave the house we are renting as our current landlord would like build on part of the property. We have not signed the new contract with them which ran out on April 2nd. We have found a new property but they would like us to move in in around two weeks! Obviously we can not afford to pay for two properties by also do not want to loose the new house which is a good find. If we were to just give one months notice from now - what would happen if our current landlord insisted on taking notice from the date we signed the contract (which is the 12th) - this would mean he require us to pay for around 7 weeks. Could we just give one month and leave or would we be better off telling him to give us notice to quit and then just leaving when ever we want to. We want to be fair of course, but can afford it. Any advice is appreciated.

Originally posted by Rebecca B View Post
    The Dilema:
    We want to leave the house we are renting as our current landlord would like build on part of the property. We have not signed the new contract with them which ran out on April 2nd. We have found a new property but they would like us to move in in around two weeks! Obviously we can not afford to pay for two properties by also do not want to loose the new house which is a good find. If we were to just give one months notice from now - what would happen if our current landlord insisted on taking notice from the date we signed the contract (which is the 12th) - this would mean he require us to pay for around 7 weeks. Could we just give one month and leave or would we be better off telling him to give us notice to quit and then just leaving when ever we want to. We want to be fair of course, but can afford it. Any advice is appreciated.
    If you can agree a surrender with your current LL that would be ideal. Failing that, I am afraid you are indeed liable for rent until the expiry of your validly served notice, which should end at the end of a tenancy period with a minimum of one month's notice.

Perhaps if you approach him and point out he can start building earlier than he planned, that might persuade him?

Is your deposit protected in a scheme?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I very much doubt he will release us early and I dont believe is quite ready to build yet.

Would we be able to leave sooner if he gave us notice to quit? Yes, our deposit is in a government scheme.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I very much doubt he will release us early and I dont believe is quite ready to build yet.

Would we be able to leave sooner if he gave us notice to quit? Yes, our deposit is in a government scheme.
        Yes, you could leave as soon as his notice expired if he gave you Notice Requiring Possession - but is he likely to, given what you have said about his not being ready to release your early?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The notice he has to give is longer than the notice you have to give - so it would not benefit you.

Comment

The Dilema:
            We want to leave the house we are renting as our current landlord would like build on part of the property. We have not signed the new contract with them which ran out on April 2nd. ...If we were to just give one months notice from now - what would happen if our current landlord insisted on taking notice from the date we signed the contract (which is the 12th) - this would mean he require us to pay for around 7 weeks. Could we just give one month and leave or would we be better off telling him to give us notice to quit and then just leaving when ever we want to.
            I'm rather confused by the bits I've highlighted in bold. If you answer the following questions, we can tell you the earliest date you can give notice to end your tenancy:
            1. Is this an assured shorthold tenancy, in England/Wales, rent less than £2083.33 per month?
            2. What date (dd/mm/yy) did the current tenancy begin?
            3. How long was the term?
            4. Is an end date specified?

(And, as snorkerz says, the solution is not to get the LL to give you notice, as most likely he'd have to give longer notice than you).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X