Do you need to provide a hoover or brush or other cleaning products in a property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you need to provide a hoover or brush or other cleaning products in a property?

Just moved to a property and I have no cleaning items bar a mop and bucket yet my hallway, bedroom and living room have carpet.

I have only not had a hoover in a property before when it was wooden flooring and then I have been given dustpan and brush and/or large brush.

Just as its gonna be a unexpected expense to buy a hoover!

You have a couple of choices, either be very very careful that you drop no crumbs from your plates and tread no mud into the place, or buy yourself some cleaning equipment. A stiff brush is ok for the time being if you can't afford a vac.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

There is no requirement for a landlord to supply a vacuum cleaner. If you assumed there would be one and didn't check thats your mistake.

As a landlord I always provide a vacuum cleaner in both furnished and unfurnished properties. I think its a false economy to skimp on spending £50-£100 on a cleaner. A landlord runs the risk of having the property returned with carpets that are dirtier, exhibit more wear and that will require more frequent replacement.

Comment

As above, no obligation to supply but it is best practise to provide.
        <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

A moderately hungry pet rat can prove an acceptable substitute for a vacuum cleaner in a home where crumbs are a problem.

mtg solutions inc
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Its not the crumbs you need to worry about, its the abrasive dirt & grit that falls off shoes into the carpets that causes most problems.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post

mtg solutions inc
              I lol'd.

Only my message entered was too short, so I would lol again.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsteeve View Post
                As above, no obligation to supply but it is best practise to provide.
                Yes, but I've recently had two (separate) tenants who moaned that the LL-provided 'Henry' vacuum cleaner was cluttering up the flat as they had their own vacuum cleaner. So you can't win.

Comment

Originally posted by subjecttocontract View Post
                  Its not the crumbs you need to worry about, its the abrasive dirt & grit that falls off shoes into the carpets that causes most problems.
                  Oblige all who enter to remove their shoes.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Tesco / Argos / Amazon - all will sell you a vacuum for less than £30.

Alternatively, stiff broom and dustpan - £5 - £8

Or rent a flat in outer-space, the vacuum is free there.

Comment

In the 10 years I hav been renting properties, I have never been asked to supply a vacuum cleaner or any other cleaning equipment, and have never supplied same. It has caused no problems.

P.P.
                      Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X