Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sitting tenant/ eviction

hi all

hope ur all enjoying the world cup! looks like france might be on the ropes!

can i evict a tenant that moved in in 1996?

or is he a sitting tenant?

A tenant of what? Anyway, he's not a sitting tenant unless you bought the property with him already there as T.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

What type of tenancy agreement does he have?

Comment

he has an AST now

he signed a new one in feb, it expires in one month

i've just served him an s21 - can i start court possession when it expires via accelerated s21 procedure?

but i thought tenants that moved in before 1997 had special rights?

Comment

Originally posted by medlock View Post
          but i thought tenants that moved in before 1997 had special rights?
          Partly, yes.
          Any Housing Act 1988 letting that began pre- 28 Feb. 1997 is governed by the original version of s.20. Under it, any 1988 Act letting was deemed a Standard Assured Tenancy [so L could not use s.21 at all] unless, before it began, L served on T a s.20 Notice to change it from SAT to AST.
          The fact that a lot of landlords did not know or did not bother was what stymied the AST scheme's operation to intended pattern, so the 'default' assumption was reversed by the 1996 Act. Now a 1988 Act letting is deemed an AST unless- by Schedule 2A- it's made into an SAT.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

ok jeffrey

im a little confused now

how can i evict the tenant?

Comment

hi

any further advice on this thread would be great

just to summarise

tenant moved in in 1996

signed a new AST 5 months ago, it expires in 1 months

can i go for possession in 1 months time via accelerated s21 (s21 served

or does he have any special rights, having moved in before 1997, which means i cannot evict him?

Comment

If T held an SAT in 1996, due to lack of a s.20 Notice, T might still have an SAT despite your attempt to make it an AST-
                and L cannot use s.21 Notices on an SAT.

Comment

so what should i do to evict this tenant?

and will it take longer than the usual s21 route and/or cost more?

Comment

Originally posted by medlock View Post
                    so what should i do to evict this tenant?
                    You can use only the grounds in Schedule 2 to the Act: see http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...&filesize=4438

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rental Arrears claim against deposit
                      by DPT57
                      Which is another reason never to let an agent deal with the deposit.
                      22-09-2020, 17:04 PM
                    • Rental Arrears claim against deposit
                      by redgoody
                      We have recently informed our agents, who have in turn informed the tenants, that we are claiming the full amount of rental arrears from their deposit. Deposit is £1,065. Rental arrears £1,059. Prior to moving out, the tenant indicated that it was his intention to settle arrears using deposit....
                      21-09-2020, 15:45 PM
                    • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                      by tatemono
                      my mistake in not clarifying what I meant by us not being in it for the money. Yes, it's an investment and it's a better way of using money than having it just sitting around, so yes, getting a return is important. What I meant was that we're looking for enough of a return, and we have way more than...
                      22-09-2020, 17:03 PM
                    • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
                      by ChrisDennison
                      I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
                      19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
                    • Reply to Possible to end tenancy early?
                      by jpkeates
                      While it's possible that your account might make a judge more sympathetic to your side of the case, it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

A fixed term is a fixed term and you'd be relying on the landlord agreeing to something that they don't have to or doing something they don't have to....
                      22-09-2020, 16:58 PM
                    • Possible to end tenancy early?
                      by May79
                      I’m having a truly horrific time in my new rental property and after an incident with LL today I’ve decided I cannot stay here. I’ve signed a 12 month assured shorthold tenancy and LL is in breach of the agreed terms on multiple counts. I do not feel safe here anymore and despite the exorbitant...
                      21-09-2020, 22:07 PM
                      by May79
                      My cat wasn’t that old or sick, we have had numerous sightings of him some 20 miles away and believe someone has dumped him there. We’re still searching for him.
                      Thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated, I’ll start looking for somewhere else. I’m hoping that their appalling conduct...
                      22-09-2020, 16:53 PM
                    • Reply to Proving tenants are related
                      by DPT57
                      Yes, but the HMO regulations are in statute and I assume that a Council policy defining family relationships could only relate to their licensing conditions....
                      22-09-2020, 16:48 PM
                    • Proving tenants are related
                      by Kestrel78
                      This is our first time letting a property. One of the first viewings are three nurses who say they are cousins. We don’t have permission to let as an HMO, so is there a way to prove their relationship or anything we can ask them to sign to state their relationship so we are covered legally with our...
                      19-09-2020, 12:14 PM
                      by jpkeates
                      The only way to end the tenancy early is with the landlord's agreement.

But
                      First of all, you need to find somewhere else to live and, probably, move there.
                      Then take the keys to the agent and offer to surrender the tenancy and hand the keys over.
                      Then keep your eye on...
                      22-09-2020, 16:47 PM
                    Working...
                    X