Should T's adult daughter be a co-tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should T's adult daughter be a co-tenant?

Since joining and reading LZ recently I wonder if one of my tenancy agreements needs adjusting. I have a good tenant of 7 years on a periodic tenancy, he initially lived in the property alone but about two years ago his adult daughter moved in with him. I wonder if her name should be on the tenancy as well as his? I did ask him about a year ago if I should put her name on the tenancy but he said she would not want this and would be moving out soon, she is still there.

He is in all respects a good tenant. He looks after the house very well, and apart from a couple of months on HB a while ago he always pays his rent on time.

Could the fact that another adult lives permanently in the house be a problem for me in the future i.e. if he wanted to move out and she wanted to stay, would she have rights.

Originally posted by pinkwallpaper View Post
    Since joining and reading LZ recently I wonder if one of my tenancy agreements needs adjusting. I have a good tenant of 7 years on a periodic tenancy, he initially lived in the property alone but about two years ago his adult daughter moved in with him. I wonder if her name should be on the tenancy as well as his? I did ask him about a year ago if I should put her name on the tenancy but he said she would not want this and would be moving out soon, she is still there.

He is in all respects a good tenant. He looks after the house very well, and apart from a couple of months on HB a while ago he always pays his rent on time.

Could the fact that another adult lives permanently in the house be a problem for me in the future i.e. if he wanted to move out and she wanted to stay, would she have rights.
    No, if you required possession, she would have no right to stay.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No, if he gave notice but the other person didn't go, he would be liable for rent until she did. His problem, not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
        No, if he gave notice but the other person didn't go, he would be liable for rent until she did. His problem, not yours.
        Are you sure about that Snorkerz? Would that be the case even if T had withdrawn his consent for her to stay, thus making her a trespasser?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Are you sure about that Snorkerz? Would that be the case even if T had withdrawn his consent for her to stay, thus making her a trespasser?
          I made that assertion here http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...t=29097&page=2 and seemed to be backed up by others, however there was no "Jeffreyism" so I guess it isn't set in stone until the Maestro gives his comment.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            I've been wondering about this too, when I read that thread about the T with the violent criminal partner who'd locked her out.

My guess is that if the T has initially allowed the other occupier to live in the rental property, they are ultimately responsible, regardless of whether they've withdrawn their consent or not. And if T wants to end the tenancy, it's T's responsibility to get the other occupier out as well. If they don't then the tenancy continues.

Or think of it the other way round, if my guess is wrong then it would mean that T could let Mr X live in the property as a non-paying guest, give notice and move out, leaving Mr X behind, with no liability for further rent, and the LL having to evict Mr X as a squatter and losing rent all the while.

Anyway, just a guess...

Comment

second tenant

Thanks for your replies, I think I will be ok with them. It made me wonder though when a LA at one of my other properties insisted in putting all names down on tenancy including small children.
              I think the site is really useful but can become addictive, log on and suddenly 30 mins has gone by!

Comment

No, minors cannot hold a legal estate or interest anyway.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I think the site is really useful but can become addictive, log on and suddenly 30 mins has gone by!
                  Yes, be vey careful !
                  A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                  W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                    Yes, be vey careful !
                    Esp. with spelling 'very'.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      Esp. with spelling 'very'.

Just checking that you are still awake !
                      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                      W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant references are a joke.
                        by Moderator2
                        Hooper,

Just post a new thread, I’ll lock this one for now, then remove it when the new thread gets going.

Just to be clear (to everyone), here are some reasons why threads with names are edited or deleted.
                        1. It can (and has) lead to legal action against forum members and/or
                        18-09-2021, 15:01 PM
                      • Tenant references are a joke.
                        by Hooper
                        I made two separate requests (one direct and one through a referencing company) for a landlord / agent reference for the same tenant at the same address.

I got two replies two days apart.

The first said they had always paid within 7 days of the payment date and that there had...
                        17-09-2021, 12:03 PM
                      • Reply to Typical lifetime of carpets
                        by jpkeates
                        The underlay is the key.
                        At home I use cheap carpet (because of pets) over good underlay.
                        18-09-2021, 14:45 PM
                      • Typical lifetime of carpets
                        by davett
                        I've done some searching and I see people asserting that the typical lifetime of a carpet is between 5 and 7 years. My question is, has this been established in court or is it just general knowledge?...
                        17-09-2021, 13:11 PM
                        by jpucng62
                        Let’s be honest, most tenants don’t look after carpets as well as a homeowner. There is no point putting a quality in a rental when you can’t be sure how it will be looked after - a burn or a coffee / wine stain will ruin a decent carpet as well as a cheap one. I go for a bleach cleanable, mid...
                        18-09-2021, 14:39 PM
                      • Reply to MCOL & PCOL
                        by jpkeates
                        There was nothing about a default in the post I was responding to.
                        The post said that there had been a hearing, so if there was a default, it would have to be some kind of procedural issue.
                        If you don't turn up to defend a claim, there has to have been some kind of error in notification...
                        18-09-2021, 13:40 PM
                      • MCOL & PCOL
                        by OS7
                        Hello Everyone,

Via Section 21,i have recently been granted a possession order for my property to happen in middle Jan 2021. The tenants are claiming housing benefit and they owe rent arrears and monies just under £7000 - I have applied for MCOL and now currently waiting to request judgement...
                        04-01-2021, 14:16 PM
                        by AndrewDod
                        Most of my carpets in my own home (good quality) are 15+ years old and still, with care, look perfect.

Asking carpet people how often you need to replace your carpet is like asking a damp proofing installer whether you need damp proofing....
                        18-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                        by Hooper
                        Yes - both references received 2 days apart from the dedicated referencing department of a national group of letting agents....
                        18-09-2021, 12:14 PM
                        by Hooper
                        With respect, the editing has changed the nature of my posts and title and it is not entirely clear to a reader what has and has not been edited. I am not happy with the posts or title as edited being attributed to me. I think the response a couple of posts up demonstrates that the edits have made it...
                        18-09-2021, 12:10 PM
                      Working...
                      X