Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Letting

Hi,

Having looked through a lot of the posts on here I thought I would trouble you all for a bit of advice......

Myself and my fiance are looking to rent a property, we have found somewhere and yesterday I submitted our references and application forms as well as the 180 pounds admin fee!!

This is where the problem may arise...... My fiance currently rents and has been in the property for 5 years, I live at home, but admit to spending the majority of my time at my fiances rented property. For this reason I put my self on the electoral role at his rented address as it made things easier when I wanted to vote etc.

So when filling in the reference form I put my mums address for where I have been residing for the past 12 months (I couldnt put my fiance's rented address as I am not on the tenancy agreement so the LA would never have heard of me!) Basically I want to know if this will be a problem - the fact that my past address is not where I am registered on the electoral register - or is the electoral register even checked?

I was completely honest with the LA and explained the situation and he said it would be fine but I am not so sure, I do not want the LL to think that I am dishonest.

Sorry to ramble on but just one more question - if my references and credit check were rejected for one reason or another, how likely is it that the LA would allow the tenancy to be solely in my fiance's name? Or is that up to the LL?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer me!

Originally posted by liz30 View Post
    Basically I want to know if this will be a problem - the fact that my past address is not where I am registered on the electoral register - or is the electoral register even checked?
    Yes, a reference check will check the electoral register. It's not a huge problem, especially as you've explained the situation to the agent, just one ticky box amongst many that go towards your whole credit profile.

if my references and credit check were rejected for one reason or another, how likely is it that the LA would allow the tenancy to be solely in my fiance's name? Or is that up to the LL?
    It's up to the LL. The agent is just a middle-man acting on behalf of the LL.

Comment

Thanks for your help - I guess I will just have to wait and see what comes back!

Comment

Can't see it being an issue as they'd be checking the electoral role for your parents house for your name, they wouldn't be looking for you at his address if that makes sense. As long as you have sufficient proof of address from your parents address you'll be fine.
        <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

The check should show the history of the electoral role at both addresses.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Or even ROLL.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Or even ROLL.
              Or even bagel, barmcake, or stottie.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                Or even bagel, barmcake, or stottie.
                Or, your favourite, role-eyes.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X