No contract, how do I assure that I will get deposit back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No contract, how do I assure that I will get deposit back

I have just moved into an apartment with three other people, where the tenancy contract is held for the entire apartment by the one person that has been there the longest. The common areas of the house ie kitchen, living room, bathrooms are shared between all of us. I am due to pay a deposit, and monthly rent, which I will pay directly into the bank account of the contract holder, however she has not offered me any paperwork to sign contract-wise. I know it isnt the best situation to move into, but I love the place and the people Im living with but obviously this can change. What is my best step to take to assure that I have full tenants rights, and also that I get my deposit back on leaving the apartment, which I do indeed to stay in for 12 months +.

Any advice is appreciated

So the long-stay resident (not L) let to you? Are you a lodger or his/her sub-tenant?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I am her sub-tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by freckels View Post
        I am her sub-tenant.
        Did her L consent to this?
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X