Inventory/deductions from deposit (does L need receipts?)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Inventory/deductions from deposit (does L need receipts?)

    At the beginning of the tenancy I prepared my own detailed inventory. The tenant and I checked and signed this.
    The tenant is now saying as it wasn't a 'professional' inventory it is not valid and I cannot retain any of the deposit.
    Is he wrong?

    #2
    Yes of course he is wrong - the fact that it is signed is the important bit. An independent inventory may be more complete but as long as your inventory clearly specifies the initial condition of whatever you are in dispute about it shuld be fine.

    Comment


      #3
      That's what I thought, thanks for confirmation.
      The tenant has destroyed part of the alarm system. He claims that, although he had instructions, he didn't know how to turn it off so he ripped the wiring out!!

      Comment


        #4
        I think you could find it harder for the deposit schemes arbitration services to take your claim seriously. You have a vested interest in the property and therefore it is possible you have written the inventory to show the property in a better light, and the check out to be more 'doom and gloom', especially over issues that are often fair wear and tear.

        However, the tenant signed the document to say it was a true record of the property at the time of moving in, so you probably stand a good chance as long as deductions are fair, and for cleaning or damage, not wear and tear or betterment. e.g. for a carpet with a 5 year life span that is 4 years old you can only claim 20% for replacement of similar quality, not 20% of an axminster (unless the original was an axminster of course!) The inventory needs to be Detailed (with a capital D) and clear, any photo's should be initialled to be admissible.

        Comment


          #5
          Wow, just read last post. Have you got service record/installation receipts etc? You stand a good chance, most people would just ring and ask LL/LA...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by remyrobson View Post
            Wow, just read last post. Have you got service record/installation receipts etc? You stand a good chance, most people would just ring and ask LL/LA...
            Yes, I have the repair receipt.
            The tenant just made some stupid claim that the alarm went off at night when a light bulb blew and 'we should have told him the alarm was wired to the lights' He didn't call the LA's emergency number either.

            Comment


              #7
              no inventory check out

              I signed up with a LA on a full management contract who found and supplied tenants. LA did a detailed inventory check in with photo's and landlord paid for both inventory check in and check out at commencement. When the LA's tenants moved out after their agreement had ended, the landlord did their own inventory inspection check. The LA informed the LL that they had done a detailed inventory check out also but, have never produced it! The LL found the flat not only very dirty and uncleaned but burn marks on the kitchen worktops, blocked basin in the shower room, F/F had been left on and was iced up and not working etc etc. The LL advised the LA but they ignored it LL got invoices from tradesmen to do the work but had to wait to fit in with their work schelell therefore, lost two months rent. I have taken the LA to court as they have not produced the inventory check out to dispute there was no damage left at the flat when their tenants left.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by winterstoke View Post
                I signed up with a LA on a full management contract who found and supplied tenants. LA did a detailed inventory check in with photo's and landlord paid for both inventory check in and check out at commencement. When the LA's tenants moved out after their agreement had ended, the landlord did their own inventory inspection check. The LA informed the LL that they had done a detailed inventory check out also but, have never produced it! The LL found the flat not only very dirty and uncleaned but burn marks on the kitchen worktops, blocked basin in the shower room, F/F had been left on and was iced up and not working etc etc. The LL advised the LA but they ignored it LL got invoices from tradesmen to do the work but had to wait to fit in with their work schelell therefore, lost two months rent. I have taken the LA to court as they have not produced the inventory check out to dispute there was no damage left at the flat when their tenants left.

                FYI - tenants are never the "LAs tenants" - they are always the LLs tenants.
                Also, LAs are not "supplied" by a LA, like furniture or other objects.
                Tenants are found by a LA but they are always approved by the LL and you will have signed/approved of the tenants you had, in some way.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Do I need receipts for deductions from deposit?

                  I am making a few deductions from my ex tenant's deposit ie for replacing lightbulbs, repairs to a vinyl floor, several hours gardening etc.

                  As I am doing the actual work myself I assume I can charge for my time?

                  Can I provide the ex tenant with an estimate of costs or do I need proof of costs?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Thyrsis View Post
                    As I am doing the actual work myself I assume I can charge for my time?
                    No, you can't, unless the Letting Agreement reserves you that right.
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                    Comment


                      #11
                      You do not need to supply them with receipts.
                      Get a mate to do the work for you and then invoice you for the work done.
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                        You do not need to supply them with receipts.
                        Get a mate to do the work for you and then invoice you for the work done.
                        How is that any different from getting a proper tradesman to do the work for you?
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Tenant refusing to accept deductions from deposit

                          When the tenant moved in I prepared my own detailed inventory and schedule of condition- 14 pages long. The tenant and I checked everything both and signed the inventory.

                          At the end of the tenancy the tenant paid for an independent inventory clerk to do the check out, using the same inventory.

                          I want to make a few deductions for damage to a floor, several non working lightbulbs and garden maintenance.

                          The tenant is refusing to accept any of the deductions on the grounds that the inventory was not carried out by a 'professional'

                          Surely they can't do that?

                          Comment

                          Latest Activity

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X