Tennant in HMO pregnant... bit of advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tennant in HMO pregnant... bit of advice?

Hello there,

I have a 4 room HMO, in which 1 room is to a housing benefit lady (she moved in January 2010 and is a great tenant). I get padi by "Rent Aid" a government backed scheme, so no issue in obtaining rent.

She has just advised me that she is pregnant, and asked if it was okay for her to stay for now. She did say "for now", so I assume she knows she could not stay in her room after having the baby, if only because it's too small for her and a baby and I cannot go above 4 people in the property under the regulations!

Of course I will do everything I can to help. However, I want to be proactive and helpful, yet I do not know the best approach.

I am thinking:

(1) Find out when she is due and issue (after mutual discussion) a letter in advance confirming she can stay shortly before that date (if this is another 6 months so be it). I guess it's a good idea to do this in advance so we both have a date in our minds, or is it better I leave things as they are and we do this around 2 months before that date? Clearly if she finds a room earlier I would let her go early without penalty!

(2) I want to then help as best I can. Can anyone offer any advice on what she should do? I guess she should speak to Hemel council and request they find her a suitable property of the right size?

Update: Thinking again, I think I need to "kick her out" as the Council will not consider housing her while she has a home?

Any advice or pitfalls you can see would be much appreciated??

You will have to "kick her out" using s21 - just because you go over the 4 people, that doesn't mean she has to go without a court order. Your problem, not hers.

I am not convinced that the licensable HMO definition counts children under a certain age as occupants. Certainly, you have no need to worry about overcrowding as a child under 1 counts as 0 persons and a child under 10 can share with an adult providing the room has a floor area of at least 90ft²

I would take legal advice, to ensure you are not seen to be evicting her because of her sex (ie men don't get pregnant).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent arrears
      by jpkeates
      A tenant who doesn't communicate well about arrears wouldn't be unusual.

In normal times I would suggest serving notice and use MCOL for the arrears.
      But with six month's notice and a huge court backlog, that's less appropriate.
      The risk of the tenant either stopping paying...
      23-09-2020, 10:01 AM
    • Rent arrears
      by MP31
      Hi

I have a tenant who got in arrears in the end of 2019 by 1.5 months because of work then continued to pay full rent until Covid. He couldn't work and was unfortunate to not get furlough or any government scheme other that UC so we arranged a reduced for 4 months. Now he is behind further...
      22-09-2020, 19:58 PM
    • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
      by boletus
      It's just one of many, many things that come up during a natural conversation with a prospective tenant. E.g "How are you paying the rent?"

DD & SO are often used interchangeably. I've lost count of the amount of times I've explained it. A tenant knowing the difference wouldn't...
      23-09-2020, 10:00 AM
    • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
      by danwestgarth
      Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
      22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
    • Reply to Rent arrears
      by Perce
      Those who are not paying anything are doing it deliberately or cannot be bothered to make arrangements. Where do they get money to eat, pay bills, pay council tax, pay for mobile phones, pay for petrol like my tenant ? The government provides a lot of support with rent. I have just looked in my area...
      23-09-2020, 09:59 AM
    • Reply to Rent arrears
      by Hudson01
      This speaks volumes in my opinion....... he could simply be playing for time, get rid asap....
      23-09-2020, 09:31 AM
    • Reply to Rent arrears
      by jpkeates
      Assuming the tenant really doesn't have any money, suing them for it is unlikely to do any good.

If you serve notice, the tenant may simply stop paying rent - as they might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, and you've already shown that you intend to evict them.

I would...
      23-09-2020, 09:02 AM
    • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
      by ChrisDennison
      I still don’t understand how he would be arguing about it if he accepts you wanting to set rent payments up by direct debit rather than by standing order...? Or if he accepts you wanting to set up a standing order rather than a direct debit? ​​​​​​

Or how there is a red flag...
      23-09-2020, 08:53 AM
    • Reply to Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
      by tatemono
      the philosophy of being nice is not posited on it being reciprocated. In fact, historically some have argued cogently that it would cease to be such a philosophy if that were the case.

But I digress.

I disagree that the "Christmas bonus" idea is a better policy. In...
      23-09-2020, 08:48 AM
    • Do you regularly (or at all) increase rent for existing tenants?
      by ChrisDennison
      I would like to gauge your experience on this - in all my properties I have never increased rent in an existing tenancy, regardless of how long the tenant stays. Am I stupid or normal or somewhere in between?

I’m of course happy to adjust to market rent whenever a tenant moves out and...
      19-09-2020, 19:00 PM
    Working...
    X