Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbug1s1k
    replied
    Well good luck and as long as you cover yourself with pics and you havent signed any schedule then he has no proof of the propertys' original condition and therefore no leg to stand on as far as witholding any deposit.

Did he protect the deposit?

Leave a comment:

• duomaxwell
    replied
    Originally posted by humbug1s1k View Post
    To back up what has already been said, I am a Letting Agent but also rent. My previous agent tried to withhold some money from me for the state of the carpets in my old house, even though I had hired a carpet cleaner and had been in the property over two years. It went through the DPS and because the agent had not compiled a detailed schedule of condition and inventory when I moved in then they ruled in my favour without hesitation and ordered the full return of the deposit.
    Thats what I thought, I was going to take loads of pictures of the spotless house when I moved out which is why I am moving stuff to new property a few days early so can give the house a good clean before LL comes round and I can get pics to show it clean just as even if he had no proof as I am terrible at arguing he may still win if it got that far.

I have a feeling what he has done is made an inventory when the previous tenants moved in since its a student property though if they signed it I dont know and then passed the buck onto me even though I havent agreed to this though when I spoke to another tenant before he lef the mentioned that he didnt remember signing any inventory.

Leave a comment:

• humbug1s1k
    replied
    To back up what has already been said, I am a Letting Agent but also rent. My previous agent tried to withhold some money from me for the state of the carpets in my old house, even though I had hired a carpet cleaner and had been in the property over two years. It went through the DPS and because the agent had not compiled a detailed schedule of condition and inventory when I moved in then they ruled in my favour without hesitation and ordered the full return of the deposit.

Leave a comment:

• duomaxwell
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    If you didn't sign an inventory, then the inventory doesn't exist, so no need to worry on that front. It puts you in a strong position in terms of defending yourself against accusations of causing damage etc as the LL has no proof as to the condition of the property before you took it on.

Welll here's a free tip... don't sign it then
    Cheers I was just worried about getting pressurised into signing since I am quite meek and timid and can cave easily.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by duomaxwell View Post
    There is no inventory for the property, was told when I moved in one was in kitchen drawer when there wasnt
    If you didn't sign an inventory, then the inventory doesn't exist, so no need to worry on that front. It puts you in a strong position in terms of defending yourself against accusations of causing damage etc as the LL has no proof as to the condition of the property before you took it on.

Originally posted by duomaxwell View Post
    Worried LL will try and get me to sign a form stating any damage no matter how small and if it was there when I moved in
    Welll here's a free tip... don't sign it then

Leave a comment:

• Moving next week, needed a bit of advice before leaving current property

It's just really basic advice about what I should do legally and morally and in case the LL causes a problem or creates issues so will list a few issues I think I need advice on.

There is no inventory for the property, was told when I moved in one was in kitchen drawer when there wasnt, and on that the LL has told me a few times over the last few months that when I move out he will do a check out inventory.

Now legally and morally what shall I do about this? I keep the property very clean but due to landlord complaining in the past I know he overreacts, I have already thought I have done too much as spent over 4 hours gardening just cleaning up leaves and snapping old bits of hedge that have overgrown and block access to many leaves and literally polished everything so its actually in a far better state than when I moved in.

The main worries are that the bathroom gets quite damp, I know this is common in the houses in the area since when I viewed 2 other houses nearby they had same issues, the main flaking is around window frame and 2 hand sized chunks above toilet.

There is a scratch on the fridge from when I cleaned it too.

I dont know if the landlord will cause any issues but dont want to start anything as I dont have definate confirmation I will leave in a few days as plan to move property out Thursday but my contract for new place wont arrive at agency till today(Monday) and its down to how quick they get a reference which is why I dont speak to LL.

This brings me to the "check out inventory" what do I expect from one in general? Worried LL will try and get me to sign a form stating any damage no matter how small and if it was there when I moved in and use it to try and claim money from deposit which is a seperate issue.

So any advice on what to expect from a general check out inventory and also about not having a check in inventory.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X